counfused about sg and need help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klein

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, im new starting off but really want to do all this correctly. i know there have been other threads talking about sg and using a hydrometer, ive read them over and over but i still feel like no one is exactly clear with an answer all. i just want to kno a couple of things. witht the hydrometer when you take readings will the sg keep going down over time the longer you let it sit? And how exactly do you figure out the estimated abv using he hydrometer?

whats wrong with answering with a link if it gets the point across?

The OP asked very specific questions. Answering specific questions with links to broader treatments of a subject is, IMO, a bit presumptuous.

But sometimes I do it anyway ::

klein - in a nutshell, SG measures the density of a liquid compared to water; your hydrometer should read 1.000 in water. The grape juice has a lot of sugar which makes it denser than water and your hydrometer will float higher and likely read 1.085 or higher to start. When the grape juice ferments it converts the sugar to alcohol which is less dense and the SG will drop and your hydrometer will float lower . When fermentation is finished your SG will likely be less than 1.000, say 0.995 or so.
To determine your alcohol content, subtract your finished SG from your starting SG and multiply by 133.
eg. 1.085 - 0.995 x 133 = 11.97 or 12 %

eg. (1.085 - 0.995) x 133 = 11.97 or 12 %

Don't forget the parentheses! For you fellow "ancients" out there, "My Dear Aunt Sally" (i.e. multiply, divide, add, subtract).

Thanks dugger. Thats what i needed. Someone to break it down in simple lingo for me, and im being serious. I appreciate it

Ok so im pretty sure either A. This batch is stuck. Or B. Its ruined somehow. i just took the sg reading and the hydrometer pretty much sunk all the way down and gave a reading of no abv? The batch is not bubbling much anymore either. does this mean its just ruin or what exactly? If you have insight please let me kno

If you have already went through fermentation and the bubbles are stopping now, then the hydrometer should sink giving a reading of no more sugar in the water since you have already turned it into alcohol

If you have already went through fermentation and the bubbles are stopping now, then the hydrometer should sink giving a reading of no more sugar in the water since you have already turned it into alcohol

Just curious....how does it taste?

I agree with Keena.

It is best to forget about the ABV scale on the hydrometer and utilize only the SG scale. For home wine makers, it is the most important scale.

What is the minimum SG reading on the SG scale of your hydrometer?
On wine making hydrometers, most SG scales go down to at least .990. I would doubt your actual reading is any lower than that. I can't imagine why your hydrometer would completely sink, unless it is not a wine maker's hydrometer or it is broken.

Make sure your hydrometer is not cracked and full of liquid.

robie said:
I agree with Keena.

Make sure your hydrometer is not cracked and full of liquid.

If its broke be cautious of drinking it, that glass is thin and sharp and will cut you if you swallow a piece down the road.

Ok so im pretty sure either A. This batch is stuck. Or B. Its ruined somehow. i just took the sg reading and the hydrometer pretty much sunk all the way down and gave a reading of no abv? The batch is not bubbling much anymore either. does this mean its just ruin or what exactly? If you have insight please let me kno
The batch is finished fermenting. That's why the hydrometer sank all the way down. No sugars left to ferment.

A standard wine hydrometer does not have an ABV (alcohol by volume) scale. It has a PA (Potential Alcohol) scale. When there are no sugars left to ferment, then the PV is 0. The ABV can be calculated by one of the methods already given as long as the original sg is also known.

Steve

I havent tasted it yet actually. The hydrometer goes all the way down to .990 and when i tested it earlier thats what the reading was at. So i assume the fermentation is done? And thanks so far for everyone who is helping

What size batch is this? The reason I ask is I have a 5 gallon bucket I use for smaller batches. If I have much less than about 2.5 gallons in there, my hydrometer touches the bottom when it gets close to 1.0.

Latest posts

Back