could some post pics of what clear is..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
How do we define clear...Ive not seen enough wine to know...
I can read print through a 1 gallon jug of mango, are a batch of dragon blood.
Is this what everyone considers clear.
There is very little sediment,and I can see that very clearly..
Please post a few clear wine pics...
Thanks.

here is a raspberry concord that I just bottled a couple weeks ago

154475_372463049511011_422231447_n.jpg

James, here is a white that I am making. I added Sparkoloid to it two days ago. It needs another day of two and then I will rack to another set of carboys.

100_0518.jpg

100_0519.jpg

100_0520.jpg

Chances are that if you don't filter the white wines and light fruit wines, there will eventually be some sediment in the bottles, lmao, Rocky, I love the wine in the lab equipment...LOL

Tom, that 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask (Remember, "Florence has a round bottom.") comes in real handy. It takes a #10 stopper and it holds more than a 1/2 gallon jug and less than a 1 gallon jug. It is my "tweener" when "sizing down" rather than topping off.

After seeing one of your posts a few months back, I ended up buying a set of them as well...LOL...I had flask envy....LMFAO!!!!

James, if you shine a light thru your wine you can see if it is really clear. When you do not see the beam, all the particles are gone and it is clear. Takes a long time for it to clear this muchand some wines never do, but they don't drop any more sediment if they get this clear.

Duster, love the new avaitor. The way my head feels this morning, think I used that glass while waiting for the fireworks to start. LOL, Arne.

Mango Wine Stuff...

When making a mango wine, using canned mango, would it be a good idea to put the mango pulp in a fine weave strainer/bag? Would there be less pulp in solution?
Thanks,
jim

I really do not think there is away around the sediment with peach are mango. It is just one of those things.. I have not tried juice...But i have never seen a clear peach are mango juice either...

When making a mango wine, using canned mango, would it be a good idea to put the mango pulp in a fine weave strainer/bag? Would there be less pulp in solution?
Thanks,
jim

Yes, a fine weave will help with pulp control. In fact I have used two layers, a fine and superfine weave, when working with mango fruit. I want to steam juice my next batch of mango, see how that works out.

The best way to test for clarity is to turn off the lights and shine a flashlight or laser pointer through the carboy. Only then will you see if there are any suspended particles.

Yes, a fine weave will help with pulp control. In fact I have used two layers, a fine and superfine weave, when working with mango fruit. I want to steam juice my next batch of mango, see how that works out.

Thanks for the help, Sara and James

And Sara...I'll contact you when I get back to the States, with your cuttings, and seeds. (If they don't get confiscated)

Latest posts

Back