Cotton fermint bag?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
Every time I read about a bag to place the solid fruit into, it is calling out a nylon bag. My wife has some coarse cotton material without any color, like diapers used to be made of. these are fresh unused. I can make a cotton bag for my next wine, no problem.
Will cotton cloth be acceptable?

My 1st thought is the tiny fibers from certain cotton material could release into the wine. Something tightly woven like a T-shirt probably not.
Tough to know without seeing or a frame of reference. Fill the sink and check it out and then go with your gut

As ajmassa5983 suggests - I'd put it into a bucket of water and rinse it a couple of times then on the last rinse put the water into a glass jar/carboy. Unless you see a lot of fibers floating around - I'd sanitize and go with it. Even with fibers in the water the likelihood is that those fibers will catch particles in the wine must and drop out like other sediment does. As long as it's clean/sanitized there's little chance of an issue unless chemicals react or destroy it.

Thanks , folks. I think it will be okay. I just needed a little assurance. Your expertise is appreciated.

Sepre Fidelis. At ease, smoke if you got 'em.

I used a cotton material once. Was adding jalapinos to a wine so thought I would contain them. Anyway everything was great, put them in and the weave was pretty tight. The little bag would blow up like a balloon, I would squeeze the air (co2) out and a little while later it was blown up again. that being said, the bag worked and the heat got out. Good luck with yours, Arne.

you can use paint bags that you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot, they can be washed and re-used. Also, you can always "borrow" a pair of your wife's pantyhose! :)

you can use paint bags that you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot, they can be washed and re-used. Also, you can always "borrow" a pair of your wife's pantyhose! :)

Last time I wanted to "borrow" a pair of my wife's I got in trouble. I think she was afraid I really meant borrow and would try to give them back to her.

Every time I read about a bag to place the solid fruit into, it is calling out a nylon bag. My wife has some coarse cotton material without any color, like diapers used to be made of. these are fresh unused. I can make a cotton bag for my next wine, no problem.
Will cotton cloth be acceptable?
Go to the dollar store and grab a 3 pack of granny nylons calf high and sterilize them.....they have a broader weave than cotton and they cost a buck

Back