Corks Popping Up! Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrank07

Reaction score
So I bottled 220 187ml bottles of Niagara yesterday. There is approximately 3/4 of an inch headspace per bottle. Within minutes after corking, many bottles corks began to rise out of the bottle about a quarter inch (none popping off). I pushed the corks back down, but many gradually came back up. Cam anyone diagnose why this happened and what I can expect/do to prevent corks popping off? I sorbated the wine about a month ago so there should be NO active yeast. Also, I degassed the wine by stirring a month ago. I believe it is a combination of the smaller headspace and the carbon dioxide trapped in the wine forcing the corks up. Am I ever safe at some point if they still haven't popped up? They are currently stored in my basement which is currently relatively cool, but I'm afraid they will explode when transported to a warmer environment. Please help with any tips on salvaging the wine!

Greg, open a bottle up and shake it up like you would a coke bottle with your thumb over the opening. If it releases any gas at all you're going o have to open all the bottles and dump them back in the carboy and degas again. Also get an sg reading and check it again in a week to see if any fermentation is taking place. You said you sorbated but did you add the correct amount along with kmeta at the same time?

Are they synthetic corks? They have a tendency to do this when there is insufficient head space. I have never used 187ml bottles so have no experience.

Steve

if the fermentaion was active even if you sorbate and K-meta it will continue. If it happened when bottling I would guess you need a little more head space. I wet the corks and it seems to have solved that problem permently(wet with K-meta solution). Are you using a lever hand corker? that aleways happened alittle when I did

Greg, my wines when corked have 7/8 of an inch head space. As Runningwolf mentioned, open a bottle and shake it up. It it fizzes you have excess CO2 that needs gassed.

Thanks for the posts. I degassed roughly 30% of the bottles with a vacuum top once I saw the corks rise. I believe there is small amount of CO2 in the wine. What will happen if I leave the wine like this? If they haven't exploded after a week or so am I safe?

If they are under pressure, but not building pressure, you won't likely have explosions going on. The corks could leak though when the bottles are stored on their sides.

Did you leave the bottles in an upright position for a few days after corking?

I'm voting for needing a tad more headspace. I had this happen on a few that I over filled and when I corked the cork rose abt 1/4 inch. Took the cork out and emptied a little wine and no problem after that.

a co2 problem would not be right away. a small amount of co2 is good. No co2 at all make a flat tasting wine.

There is approximately 3/4 of an inch headspace per bottle. Within minutes after corking, many bottles corks began to rise out of the bottle about a quarter inch (none popping off). I pushed the corks back down, but many gradually came back up.

The fact that it happened so quickly and again after pushing them down a second time, plus that they didn't push out further, suggests something like hydraulic pressure. I think you could test this theory by corking a bottle of water similarly (3/4 " headspace) and also with less volume (2" headspace) and see what happens to both.

The fact that it happened so quickly and again after pushing them down a second time, plus that they didn't push out further, suggests something like hydraulic pressure. I think you could test this theory by corking a bottle of water similarly (3/4 " headspace) and also with less volume (2" headspace) and see what happens to both.

I agree - i had that happen before - i took a little bit out - corked it and it was fine.

I've not used 187 ml bottles so don't know what size corks they take, but what size and type of cork did you use? It could be the corks are too small ( diameter) and won't hold the pressure.

I agree with Dugger about the cork size. If the size you used is the correct size, there is another problem, likely CO2. If CO2, I'd bet that as soon as you take the bottles out of the cool area and the temperature rises, the corks are going to come out again.

maybe I use too much headspace at 2" from the bottle top. This is the 1st time in my life I have ever done anything conservative. It's a cause for celebration!

What do you mean by 3/4 inch headspace? 3/4" between the cork and the wine or 3/4" between the top of the wine and the top of the bottle? I the latter, how would you put an inch and a half even cork in there and expect it to go down. If you mean 3/4 between the wine and cork, it should stay in no problem. Which is it?

from E.C. Kraus' website.

This size cork is recommended for smaller odd sized openings. They are 13/16 inches in diameter.

These corks fit a standard fifth wine bottle. They are 7/8 inches in diameter.

These corks give a good tight fit in a standard fifth size wine bottle. They are 15/16 inches in diameter.

most people use the 8 or 9's. You should probably try changing some to see if that cures your problem.

Latest posts

Back