corks for 3 litre bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xoloski

Xolo dog
Reaction score
We scored a truck load of quality green 3 liter bottles that are really nice.
The hole size is 29mm (1.141 inches).
What size cork do I need for this bottle and, where can I find a couple hundred of these corks?
We want to use these for our recent 20 gallon batch of prickly pear wine that is clarifying now and will be ready to bottle in December.

Thanks

I would visit you local wine supply store to start your quest.

29mm is European bottle size. Some on line suppliers should have data.

interesting cork insertion technique recommended. I was wondering how to fit them.

Steve

Yep, I recently purchased a couple of commercial Double Magnums that I want to recork at some point so I will be following their lead.

That is way easier said than actually done. I do a lot of double magnums and other large format bottles. I now use #14 tapered corks amd pound them in with a rubber mallet. Seems to work mor me.

Last edited:
Closest wine shop is Tucson, 70 miles away.
When I asked them they had no idea where to find this size cork.

I don't get that either Mike. $6.50 per cork, if you wanted to do 50 bottles it would be cost prohibitive. I wonder how wineries do it that bottle in 3 liter bottles. Now everthing is coming together "We scored a truck load of quality green 3 liter bottles that are really nice. or is it "We scored a money pit"?

Valley Vintner is asking $6.5 per cork...!

I got a few from V V last year for $4.45 each. The tapered #14 are only 43cents from FVW. Not sure I would trust the tapered for more than a few years though.

Latest posts

Back