Corks - Agglomerate vs Synthetic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm not a regular on these forums, but thought I would weigh in. You can purchase Nomacorcs (1.5" straight) for $100/1000, or 0.10c/ea at Waterloo Container. Even after shipping up to Nova Scotia (and associated taxes), it was reasonable (0.145c/ea). They do offer the 1.75" as well for a little more. I had a pleasant experience dealing with them as well.

Part of the reason that I purchased Nomacorc is that I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) they won't dry out like agglo/cork, so you don't have to be in a hurry to use them. I also believe them to be superior to agglo corks, and at this price, better value for my needs than natural cork.

Good to know as I am in need again. My original bottles came from waterloo. They were very nice brown bordeaux bottles.

First off for those who order from George, what is the difference between the 1 3/4 Perfect Agglomerate

http://www.finevinewines.com/p-879-2320c.aspx

and the 1 3/4 Agglomerate corks.

http://www.finevinewines.com/p-451-2310c.aspx.

Next question, I've been using the Nomacorks so far, is there any advantage of the synthetic over the afflomerate corks?

If I can save a couple bucks and not sacrifice the wine, I may add a bag of 1000 to my next order from George.

Thanks

Doug,
Did you ever get an answer on the difference between agglomerate and perfect agglomerate corks?

Just comparing the two from the online catalog, it appears as though the only difference is that the perfect agglomerate has "Fine Vine Wines" printed on the side while the agglomerate have no printing whatsoever.

What I've been doing on my current batches is bottling 20 or so of the 30 bottles with agglomerate and going full natural corks for the other 10. Drink the agglomerate ones first, then a few years down the line start breaking into the natural corked wines!

Back