Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
Has anybody every used these corks from Label Peelers? How did they preform? Looking for any cork suggestions.

9 x 1 3/4 Premium Quality Straight Wine Corks 1000 ct $138.47

http://labelpeelers.com/9-x-1-3-4-premium-quality-straight-wine-corks-1000-ct/

9 x 1 3/4 Premium Quality Straight Wine Corks 1000 ct - have agglomerated centers and Natural end caps. Premium Quality is our high-grade cork. These are great for wine that will be stored up to 10 years. The #9 diameter and the 1 3/4 length makes them very difficult to insert with a hand corker and we suggest only using them with a floor corker or better.

Last edited:
Jhawk, that is what I am using at present and I bought a 1000 bag from Label Peelers. I cannot comment on how well they will perform over the long haul (nothing lasts in my cellar for more that a couple of years anyway and I just started to use them about 9 months ago), but they are very easy to insert with an Italian floor corker. I have no complaints so far and I have opened a couple bottles of white with no difficulties. At this point, I would say I am very pleased.

Dan, which of the Lafitte corks do you use, where do you buy them and how much per 1000? Thanks.

Jhawk, that is what I am using at present and I bought a 1000 bag from Label Peelers. I cannot comment on how well they will perform over the long haul (nothing lasts in my cellar for more that a couple of years anyway and I just started to use them about 9 months ago), but they are very easy to insert with an Italian floor corker. I have no complaints so far and I have opened a couple bottles of white with no difficulties. At this point, I would say I am very pleased.

Dan, which of the Lafitte corks do you use, where do you buy them and how much per 1000? Thanks.

I'm not Dan, but I'll chime in. I purchased the Agglo 1+1's. Really nice corks and you can customize with your logo (there was a 1 time, $100 die cast expense for this). IIRC, the cost for 1,000 was around $0.11 each. Shipping added another 50 or 60 bucks; bringing total, delivered cost to around $0.17. Pretty nice for a high quality, customized cork. ;)

We are all using the Lafitte 1+1 Aglo. They have several levels of quality for that cork but it made no sense cost wise to use anything other than the top tier.

Rocky, this is a GREAT cork and a great company to work with. When I placed my first order they sent the whole thing out to me and just stuck the bill in the box for me to pay by check or call in a CC. How many companies still do that today?

Read the reviews on that page before making your decision. Many of us use Lafitte 1+1 corks and they are less expensive than the ones you're looking at. http://www.lafitte-usa.com/ If you decide to go this route tell them where you heard about them.

Dan,
Do you have to call them to order or am I just being "interweb challenged"?
I don't see anywhere on their website listing prices.

No, you need to call them and tell them you are interested in placing an order. They will transfer you to a salesperson who will assist. you. You can not order corks directly from the website. They do not list prices on the website either. They will be happy to send out samples for your inspection. Human interaction is required to place an order.

no, you need to call them and tell them you are interested in placing an order. They will transfer you to a salesperson who will assist. You. You can not order corks directly from the website. They do not list prices on the website either. They will be happy to send out samples for your inspection. Human interaction is required to place an order.

what a novel idea :db

Human interaction is required to place an order.

I agree Flo, what a novel idea. Anymore all anyone wants to do is speak electronically.

Thanks. I will give them a call. I have been using a basic agglo from the LHBS. No problems with them just looking at other options.

Congrats Geek! Even if you have branded corks you can have someone else piggyback onto your order with plain corks as long as they go to the same address. This will cut way down on shipping.

(nothing lasts in my cellar for more that a couple of years anyway and I just started to use them about 9 months ago)

That brings up a good question. What is the ideal cork for a 2 year wine, including price? What are the characteristics of a 2 year cork?

That brings up a good question. What is the ideal cork for a 2 year wine, including price? What are the characteristics of a 2 year cork?

Just one guy's opinion but a decent #9 agglomerated cork should work very nicely for at least 2 years. I just opened a 4YO Amarone with an agglomerated cork and it showed no signs of deterioration. My preferred agglomerated corks are the "perfect agglomerated" corks at Fine Vine Wines. They seem to be high quality and hold up well.

I bought another batch from another location that were cheaper but I can't figure out the vendor. They were horrible. In under a year, most of the corks were leaking and saturated with wine. I wish I could determine where I bought them to give fair warning to all of you.

I also use an " two year cork" , but I easliy get 5 yrs with no problems. This is a 12cent cork when u buy a bag of 100, from Brew & Wine Supply. Been using this cork for 7 yrs now, oldest bottle left was 6 yrs & no issues. Roy

Which Amarone and how's the taste? :HB

It was a Mosti Renaissance Amarone that has been disappointing up to now. Unfortunately, I shouldn't have opened this bottle because I had a sinus infection and really couldn't taste it very well. I will open another at Christmas and may be able to tell then. I plan to compare a 4, 3, 2, and 1 year old amarone as a gift to myself and my wine drinking family. Should be interesting because I have a preconceived idea of the outcome. I'm excited to see if it works out that way.

It was a Mosti Renaissance Amarone that has been disappointing up to now. Unfortunately, I shouldn't have opened this bottle because I had a sinus infection and really couldn't taste it very well. I will open another at Christmas and may be able to tell then. I plan to compare a 4, 3, 2, and 1 year old amarone as a gift to myself and my wine drinking family. Should be interesting because I have a preconceived idea of the outcome. I'm excited to see if it works out that way.

Wow, and I have that kit aging now, I started it Feb. 7 of this year....:ft

When did you bottle it? Did you bulk age for a long time?

Back