Cork Humidor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I finally figured out a way to make a cork humidor large enough to store all my corks. Last year I bought 1000 custom corks from Georgeand have been keeping them in the original bag and taking out what I need and rinsing them before bottling. We all knowthat soaking your corks is bad and handling them excessively is also not good due to the coating that is added to help prevent them from sticking in the bottle.

I looked for aairtight container large to hold my corks but was unsuccessful but the light bulb went off one day and this is what I came up with.I bought a plastic tub with coverand alarge plastic drum liner that is usedto packaged bulk pharmaceuticals.I placed the liner inside the tub and put a 2 gal bucket inside. The bucket has a gallon ofsanitizing strength Na-metain it with holes drilled in the lid to allow the vapors to fill the liner and protect my corks and keep them ready to use at anytime.

20070121_155618_Corks_1.JPG

A good twist of the liner and tie off and it should provide the same result as if it was done in a airtight container.

20070121_155908_Corks_2.JPG
Edited by: masta

Thats a lot of corks boss! I dont think I'll ever need one as I buy
locally right down the road. Great idea for the ones that do buy alot.

Great idea Masta, I'm gonna try that. I have on hand about 300 corks and I just ordered 200 more. I won't be using them all within the next month or so, so I'll do a humidore. Thanks for the idea.

I am working on a cork humidor to sell. We have a concept. Just have to come up with the parts on an affordable basis.

Sweet!!!! I have about 20 of those exact silver tubs. Walmart had a sale on them a few months ago for $4 each.

I think I'm gonna do just that when I pick up 1000 corks in the next few weeks!

wade said:
Thats a lot of corks boss! I dont think I'll ever need one as I buy
locally right down the road. Great idea for the ones that do buy alot.

it doesn't matter how many you buy. this is a good idea to do for any corks that you will be using.

most corks come from the factory nicely sanitized, but by the time
your local store has opened the packages up and repackaged them, they
have been exposed to air and handling.

i make sure i put enough corks in mine a couple days before
bottling so they will be sanitized by then. it is a one gallon plastic
pail with a spice bottle for the kmeta solution. put enough kmeta in it
so some is still solid. that will insure a super saturated solution. be
careful opening it. those fumes are POTENT!

usually i just fill it back up after bottling and keep it full.

bill keiser

I don't need anything like the size Masta has - I buy 100 at a time. I'm thinking a 2 gallon primary with a plastic soda cup from the 7 Eleven for the K-meta. One thing to remember - long term exposure to SO2 gas or liquid solution will cause serious corrosion to all of the grades of stainless steel (and steel, aluminum, copper, brass, bronze, and iron) that we might use in winemaking. Use only food grade plastic.

A 1 gallon primary with one of those tip proof plastic coffee mugs with the wide bottom could probably hold a couple of hundred corks. I think that's the route I'll go.

Now where can I get a 1 gallon food grade plastic pail with lid that didn't contain pickles?

I definitely have changed my mind as I do a lot more wine now and getting to the store to get a supply of corks as often as I need them now is a hassle. She does carry them in a humidor so I never had to worry about that but I think its time i build my own. I think I might look for something a little bigger than a 1 gallon but not a 5'er. Have to check out Walmart for something midsize so the san. container dont get burried if i do get a decent supply as I think a gallon bucket would leave the san. cup buried with more than 100.

Edited by: wade

Wave down that Schwan's truck and get yourself a humidor! Darn, you'll have to eat some ice cream first! Don't you hate it when that happens?
smiley2.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words....or corks......or wine.....
smiley36.gif

Great idea. I am going to do a smaller version. Thanks, Masta!!

Thanks for the help on this one! I am bottling this week and made a small version of your humidor and it holds about 100 corks. I have to say that this forum has been incredibly helpful to me. I have picked up all kinds of great ideas that will help me with my wine making. I am now hooked on this forum and find myself checking it almost every day.

Quote "and find myself checking it almost everyday." You're not hooked yet.
smiley1.gif
When you are checking it a couple, three times a day. Then you are getting hooked.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: swillologist

Got through bottling my Strawberry Riesling this morning and made myself another Humidor as I felt the container I was using was not really sealing that well. I had picked this one up at Wally World yesterday morning and think it will work fine.
humidor1.jpg

Decided against using the quart jar in the first picture so I got me a screw top wine bottle, made a few holes in the lid and used it.

hunidor2.jpg

humidor3.jpg

humidor4.jpg

That bucket doesn't look like it has that good a seal. I think a cork
humidor needs a tight seal. Bed Bath and Beyond store has a nice 4
liter round canister with a silicone seal and a push button release on
the lid for $13 that I'm going back for when I get one of their 30% off
coupons.

I see a sample bottle there. I bet that doesn't last long! That's a good big humidor. How many corks does it hold and does it seal pretty tight? It looks like it might screw on as well as the catches.

I use a MM All Juice bucket and a 3 liter jug in there. Might be a little overkill as when I open it I have to do so outside so as not to die.
23_30_111.gif

It only snaps on appleman and it may prove to be not tight rnough for the intended use. I popped it open when I got back from Malvern a few minutes ago and there was not much sulphite odor so it may be back to square one for me. You were right about the sample bottle, it and two other bottles are now ready to refill.

Latest posts

Back