Confusion.. Not sure if I have a 6 gallon Carboy????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markd

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys....

I have a stags Leap Merlot in secondary right now and the 6 gallons of wine does not go all the way to the top on the carboy?? I bought it thinking it was a 6 gallon.. Do I have a 6.5 Gallon?

The reason I am concerned is because when I stabalize it and rack it to a new carboy (I have the same one) It will not be near the top. I know I am suppose to add water or wine but it seems like a lot of water or wine to add? I will try and post a picture later. The carboy is the one with the four rings/ridges on it... It is glass and the 6 gallons of wine goes up to the last ring?

Thanks!

You have one of the new italian carboys. These are the only ones available new. It is between 6.25 and 6.5 gallons.

Yep, likely an Italian carboy. I have some of the 6 gallon Mexican and some of the Italian. Wish someone would start making the true 6 gallon again.

So what do i do now??? Do any places sell a 6 gallon. A place by me where you go and make the wine with them with kits say they have a 6 gallon one... Would it truely be a 6 gallon?

They are not likely true 6 gallon. You will need to consider using clear glass marbles. They are cheap at Hobby Lobby and other type stores. Clean, sanitize, and put then in the carboy until you get the level you want. The other alternatives are to use an inert gas like argon or CO2; or top off with wine. I use commercial wine and sometimes marbles.

Sounds like you already know this, but you don't need to top off in secondary. The CO2 in secondary will protect the wine, if you have an air lock installed.

My guess is it is exactly what you have now. You can top up with another wine or staerilze glass marbles and add those to the carboy to raise the wine level. Easiest idea is buy a cheap wine and add it.

I am leaning more towards the marbles? I dont really want to add another wine...? Are marbles ok? The will not do anything to the wine???

I am leaning more towards the marbles? I dont really want to add another wine...? Are marbles ok? The will not do anything to the wine???

As I see it, what's the difference between glass marbles and glass carboys? They can cause clearing issues though (the sediment will collect on top the marbles).

As long as they are not painted. Sanitize and wash them.

Some are concerned that the marbles may be lead glass based. I don't worry too much about that, as I often times drink my wine from a nice leaded crystal glass.

Did you verify that you started with 6 gallons in the primary? It's possible that you started with something less than 6 gallons if you didn't - the factory marks aren't always exact.

The IM kit I just started had a simple solution. They suggested filling the carboy with water to the correct level, then racking into the primary and marking the level to use for making the kit.

If you did start with less than six, then topping with water wouldn't be as bad ...

Looks to me you left to much behind when you racked.
Yes that is a 6 gal Italian carboy
What I would do is BUY 2 bottles of stags leaf merlot and add that to top off.
You will not be wasting what you buy as you will drink it later.

I took all 6 gallons over... I have another of the same carboy and I filled it up with 6 gallons of water and it went to the same level... so that is 6 galoons of wine...

I do not want to add wine to it becasue I want this to be a pure batch.. is that too much rrom to add marbles.. I am still adding the stabilizer and another half cup of water with the p meta....?

Adding a bottle of same wine is OK. Good insurance so wine will not oxidize.
Thats alot of marbles to add
This kit will improve if you bulk age instead of bottling as directions.

I took all 6 gallons over... I have another of the same carboy and I filled it up with 6 gallons of water and it went to the same level... so that is 6 galoons of wine...
....?

Take a look at the bottom of the carboy -- is it embossed with "6 GAL" or "25 LTR" or some other size-rating?

Latest posts

Back