Confused about bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
I have never used bentonite on my fruit wines until I used it to clear a fresh peach wine.

On a batch of juice Cranberry/Pom I started I did not use it in primary.
I am getting ready to rack to secondary, probably tomorrow when the OG reaches 1.010

So should I stir up the wine, add bentonite to the primary and then rack to secondary?

Or should I rack off the lees and add the bentonite to the secondary and then rack on top of the bentonite?

I would rack it to the secondary without disturbing the lees and then add it to the secondary. You will then rack it again after a week or two.

I don't see any advantage to stirring up the lees if the goal is to get the wine to clear quickly.

You don't want to add bentonite to a fermentation that is slowing down or it may become stuck.

Ok so I will stir and rack off with the lees and let it ferment dry and then rack again on bentonite and then rack again in 1 to 2 weeks.

Does that sound like a plan?

Sounds like a plan, you can stir the first few days after adding the bentonite to help it work. I very seldom use it post ferment, but if I do I sort of degas in stages a little each day while at the same time stirring up the bentonite. Bentonite settles to the bottom fairly fast and if you don't help it get back into suspension it just lays on the bottom doing little if anything.

Oh shoot, I totally misread this. Yes. Don't add bentonite until it is done fermenting.

Then again, I make fruit and grape wines from italian concentrates and have always added bentonite after complete degassing. Left in for 2 weeks and then racked. Never had a wine that did not clear.

Latest posts

Back