Confessions of a one-armed wine-maker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are limitations to what one can do making wine at home, with one good arm, but ingenuity helps. Next week I am to have a total shoulder replacement, which should help down the road, but for now...

Steve’s all-in-one-wine-pump has been a blessing for racking and bottling, both of which I’ve done with the good arm. But since lifting is out, those initial steps of getting juice into a fermenter, into a secondary vessel were challenging - until I purchased a small hydraulic lift table. I make kit wines, all processing takes place on work benches. Now I can lift the kit box onto the bench, siphon juice into the fermenter that rests on the lift table, raise it to the same elevation and slide it over to the bench, hook up the heating element and wait.

All this takes place in the cellar of an 1858 cottage in rural Virginia, ironically the barrel-maker’s shop. Next will be how to get water into the basement.

Latest posts

Back