Concord Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braxton8513

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm pretty new and have a quick question. I'm getting ready to start a concord wine batch, and I was wondering if anyone has ever added oak to theirs, and If so what their results were, and if satisfied. I'm really wanting to try this, but I want to make sure it isn't going to overpower the grape. I'm making a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks all

Braxton8513 said:
Hey everybody, I'm pretty new and have a quick question. I'm getting ready to start a concord wine batch, and I was wondering if anyone has ever added oak to theirs, and If so what their results were, and if satisfied. I'm really wanting to try this, but I want to make sure it isn't going to overpower the grape. I'm making a 5 gallon batch. Thanks all

I've never added oak to my Concord, but be careful, oak can over power Concord.

My experience with oak would lead me to think that in the proper amounts oak has a place in nearly every wine minus things such as Riesling...

I have added medium toast oak sticks to my concord (2 of them in a 5 gallon batch) and it was very nice.

There are many people who also swear by concord and vanilla beans, but the flavour is not for me.

Oak is very good on concord. I've never done it in the primary, but using it there marrys the oak into the wine and is a different flavor than doing it in the secondary. We use medium toast french oak in the secondary.

Other flavors we use on concord are vanilla--slight vanilla flavor in the background is very nice. We also do an anise concord using star anise.

Latest posts

Back