Concentrate Juice Wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't boil anything. If you need to add more sugar, just get it hot enough to dissolve it but I wouldn't boil it. Just pour the can of juice in the primary and ensure it mixes well.

I don't know what your using for a primary or secondary vessel. I guess I assumed that you were using a one gallon jug since you said something about it overflowing. If you are doing that, it's okay. Just don't fill the jug but about half full or you will experience a mess when it gets going. In this case, I would use two one gallon jugs as the primary. Matter of fact, when you rack it you can clean the jugs and put it right back in there. I have about 20 jugs that I use for this purpose.

During initial fermentation, your going to want a lot of room for the wine to breath. After racking, you will need to ensure the bottles are full so you don't spoil the wine. Instead of adding a lot of water, you need to top up the jugs using clean marbles or something. Don't make the same mistake I made and just add water to fill them up. Makes very weak wine in taste and alcohol content.

So if I have two full jugs and a half of a plastic one gallon water jug do you think the half jug will spoil even with a air lock on it?

If it is done with fermentation, yes it will go bad if you don't top it off some how.

I Have just put it into secondary on monday night so I believe it has a ways to go yet. Just wondering if I am doing things right!

Not ideal, but you'll probably be alright for a little while. It'd be better if you could find a smaller glass jug for that 1/2 gal.

Thanks I do have a half gallon glass jug but I think I will wait til I rack and top up Because I think there is just a tad more then a half gallon.

That'll work. I was just concerned about how much O2 that can get to it. If you're gonna rack pretty soon, I'd say good deal!:hug

Back