Concentrate juice for back sweeting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
Can you use concentrate juice for back sweeting and also infusing more fruit flavor and acid into the wine? So if I have a light tasting dry blackberry wine that needs bottled. Can I stabilize it and add an X amount of concentrate to the wine? Does it need to clear again? Or is it ready to body after a day or two.

I know I would need to create measured wine and measured concentrate tasting to determine how much I need to add.

Sure you can use a concentrate. Most concentrates will cloud the wine back up. Have to wait for it to clear again. Like you said, make sure you stabilize it first or it will most likely take off fermenting again. Arne.

Can you add the concentrate while it ages in carboy or is this something you should do right before bottling?

I used some apple juice concentrate to back sweeten before and it turned out amazing. It didn’t cloud up the wine and didn’t start fermentation up. I did it right before bottling

Can you add the concentrate while it ages in carboy or is this something you should do right before bottling?
You can add it whenever you like. I would add it a week or two before bottling so it can sit for a bit and make sure it doesn't do something you don't want it to. Like restart. Arne.

I used some apple juice concentrate to back sweeten before and it turned out amazing. It didn’t cloud up the wine and didn’t start fermentation up. I did it right before bottling
Professor Gerry Fowles -Creator of Gervin Yeasts- used to say if you back-sweetened wines with apple juice, it would give it a touch of the German's. According to what he said, it was because apple juice has more fructose than sucrose.

Professor Gerry Fowles -Creator of Gervin Yeasts- used to say if you back-sweetened wines with apple juice, it would give it a touch of the German's. According to what he said, it was because apple juice has more fructose than sucrose.

Would you mind translating that into across-the-pond-ese?

Sorry about that, I forgot that you don't speak UK English in the USA.
What I should have said was that if you back sweeten white wine with apple juice, it will give it a slightly similar taste to a German halbtrocken (off-dry) wine.
I hope this makes it clearer

Sorry about that, I forgot that you don't speak UK English in the USA.
What I should have said was that if you back sweeten white wine with apple juice, it will give it a slightly similar taste to a German halbtrocken (off-dry) wine.
I hope this makes it clearer

Much clearer, thank you.

Thanks, there is so much to learn about wine making all comments are questions and comments welcome for readers

Latest posts

Back