RJ Spagnols Comparible cost

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
If I went to the store to buy a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon at the same level as a RJ Spagnols Cru Select international kit would produce, what price would I pay?

Just curious everyones thoughts on this.

thanks,

Brian

I was curious on everyone's thoughts, but now I'd settle for ANYONE'S thoughts. Lol.

Brian

I take full retail price of the kit, and divide by 30 (bottles), then multiply X 2. That gives a pretty fair, maybe conservative but fair IMHO estimate based on my experience to date with kit wines.

When my kit turns out great I compare it to a $17 - $20 commercial wine. For kits that turn out good but not great I can't compare because I don't buy commercial wine that cheap. Sorry, that's not a very good answer.

The 15-20 range was what I was thinking. Thanks for the replies. I may be buying a more $$ kit soon, so i'll have some better stuff in the cellar

Brian

I wouldn't know what points to rate the kit wine to compare to store bought. Even that doesn't tell the story. I've had 91 and 92 point rated 2008California cab's from completely different cellars that are priced $30 or more apart. You are paying for so much more than just good juice in a bottle- I know my Rodney Strong 2008 cab (I would guess at 89 points) at $12 isn't going to compare to my 2008 Silver Oak (guessing rated at 92) yet the price difference is $58- for 3 points? How do I rate my RJS Super Tuscan against these? I don't know... I can tell you this- I drink a pot-load of the Rodney Strong.

After "sunk" costs for equipment and re-using bottles- A bottle of the Super Tuscan is roughly $4.25. I think that is a great value.

That is a difficult question to answer, as it so depends on your taste and just which commercial wine you are comparing.

There are some $7.50 commercial wines at Costco that are really nice wines. At the same time, there are some $20 wines on which I wouldn't waste my money.

Kit wines are a bit thinner and the range of kits you named is not exactly a premium kit.

I know I will get some argument and I don't intend on stepping on anyone's toes. Realistically, but strictly in my opinion, if you make the kit exactly as is and don't use an oak barrel, you are looking at something comparable to about a $10 wine. If you move up into the ultra premium kits, they would compare more at about $16 to $18.

With tweaks and the use of an oak barrel for the reds, you can add a few dollars to each of those categories.

I don't know why I am even trying to answer; it is all very, very subjective!!!

I just sampled my 1st bottle of Ken Ridge Cab [EC Kraus] that I made on 7-9-10. It is my 1st red that I would share with friends & family, truly good! I "like" cheap wine, OK any wine, but I would say that this was a $15 bottle at the store [my wife say's more] Now I'm looking forward to my Grand Cru Cab, Amarone, & others. I like to drink wine more than I like to wait for it to AGE! Roy

Thank you all for the replies.
I think I'm a little bias tho, lol.. I'm pretty sure my kits will be in the $100 per bottle price range (at least to me).

Maybe it's just me, but if I made it, it just tastes better.

Brian

Absolutely priceless !
Because I really enjoy all the different wines I make and if I had to buy them
commercially, I would not be able to afford to drink anywhere near as much as I can if I make it. I think the cheapest wines in our liquor store are $10
and the most expensive kits I make (RJS Winery series) are $90 so the savings
are clear and my wine tastes better............. plus I really enjoy my hobby
as do friends and relatives who get a bottle as a gift now and then.

Whoa, Alan!

Where are you buying RJS Winer Series for $90? Even if you are talking $90 Canadian, which is roughly the same as $90 US, I think I am getting "skewered." The best prices I have found in the States is in the mid $100-teens. I really like the Winery Series and it sounds like your base cost is about a buck a bottle less. 'Atsa signif! :ib

Well I think that wine kits even though they are mostly manufactured in Canada
are one of the very very few products that we can buy cheaper than you guys in the US. C'mon, we deserve at least 1 deal, it may as well be wine kits :try
because we get the shaft on everything else !

You absolutely deserve it, Alan. All the better for you. I was just surprised at the difference in price. I lived in Rochester, New York for 10 years and made many trips to Canada (mostly Toronto for musical shows and such) and I never found anything to be less expensive in Canada. We loved the theatres in Toronto and the city itself. I used to describe it as "New York City without the crime."

Actually his regular retail price is
Winery series $100
Cru select $90
Grand Cru int $70

I pay $10 less than his regular retail, because I live 60 miles away, would never brew on premises, pay ca$h and buy 30 kits per year. My business is just a bonus for him. My local wine making shop on the other hand has Outrageous
prices ! and I refuse to buy anything from him. He wants $125 for Winery series !! he is the only kit retailer in town.

Laundry room brewer as well

Repsolal
Laundry rm Wine kit maker

Same here dude -- a brutha in arms.

I have noticed a considerable price difference in kits from the different sites. My LHBS is outrageous and I will not buy from him.

Last edited:
Actually his regular retail price is
Winery series $100
Cru select $90
Grand Cru int $70

QUOTE]

Wow those are some good prices. Around here you wont get a 6 week kit for under $100 and the winery series are 125-130. The premier kits are 150. Oh well. Location, Location, Location. At least I get the 11th kit free. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

Cheers

Repsolal

Same here dude -- a brutha in arms.

I have noticed a considerable price difference in kits from the different sites. My LHBS is outrageous and I will not buy from him.

I do give the local LHBS some of my business, just because it is the thing to do. But mostly I have found I can order from George at The Wine Maker's Toy Store, pay the shipping and still come out better than at the local LHBS. There is a sales tax advantage, too, of course.

If you watch for his specials, you can do even better.

Thank you all for the replies.
I think I'm a little bias tho, lol.. I'm pretty sure my kits will be in the $100 per bottle price range (at least to me).

Maybe it's just me, but if I made it, it just tastes better.

Brian

Brian, you hit the nail on the head! That's what it is all about, it's yours, you made it, that makes it even more special to you. If you are pleased, that's what really matters.

Latest posts

Back