Come on spring!!! What's it like at your vineyard?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted two Barbera and a Sangiovese yesterday, under those new lyre trellises.

I'd better find some time to prune the rest of my little vineyard this weekend. Buds are starting to get that pusywillow look.

This was the planting time recommend by both Double A Vineyards and Grafted Grapevines when I did my original planting two years ago. They are completely covered by mounded up soil now.

In 2016 shoots emerged April 24th. They were immediately eaten by rabbits and birds (with apparently thought they were grubs), but that is another story, and I have grow tubes waiting to slap on them this time.

It's been sunny and warm(er) here for a week now, 10-13C days, the snow is rapidly leaving, but like many, we are expecting flurries tomorrow, jeeeez, I can finally see the mound of manure where I stored my 25 or so transplants from last year, hoping to get the vineyard built in the next couple of weeks and put them into their final location. The hop yard is still buried under 8" of snow...will be a while before any shoots pop up.

Come on sunshine and warmth!!

Here is the manure pile with the 25 or so plants, waiting to go into their permanent home which is right in front of it. Also a picture of the hop yard, right next to it.
IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4718.JPG

Last edited:
Checking my field notes from last year, and I had first bud break and leaf out on April 1 of last year. Also had a mild winter in 2016/2017.

This year it was a hard, long cold winter. And just started to see the start of some bud swell today. Maybe a 7 to 10 days before any leaf out starts.

Kilohertz, what is that little green car on the right side of the pic? Looks like it could be a Henry J from the lines! Just curious!

Kilohertz, what is that little green car on the right side of the pic? Looks like it could be a Henry J from the lines! Just curious!

It's a 1974 VW Fastback, with a fuel injected engine, destined for one of our dune buggies, car is beyond salvage with rust and interior damage, but the engine and drive train are all usable.

BTW, it's now snowing here.......ARG!

Forsythia, crocus and early tulips are blooming. Finished pruning the grapes, and the sap is flowing freely.

We got a couple inches on Sunday, and cold conditions through today. It's supposed to warm up for a couple days, then another 32 for a high day with snow again. I'm ready, but ma nature sn't! lol.

2D24B228-A45E-418B-BECD-19D03FEB5463.jpeg Daffys are in full bloom (frogs are my bride’s thing). Rain in the forecast for the next ten days but snowing in the mountains. Still around freezing in the morning. Have to finish pruning!

Hosta by garage door popped up. Going in vineyard to look for bud swell today. If I see any I will be spraying wednesday. (already done y dormant spray)

Back