Come on spring!!! What's it like at your vineyard?

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by Kilohertz, Mar 1, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Kilohertz

Kilohertz Junior

A this rate, we may see the soil by April, what a winter. Snowfall after snowfall, over 3' still in some places on my property here in the North Okanagan valley.

Anybody snow free yet?

Here is a picture from last week looking out at the hop yard, and soon to be started vineyard with 25 transplants from last summer. Hopefully they take root.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. shrewsbury

shrewsbury Junior Member Supporting Member

Snow is gone, and it has been 40 and raining for a few days. Pretty much near flood conditions. The rain is suppose to turn to snow tonight and everything will be iced up come morning.

3. JimInNJ

JimInNJ Member

Buds look alive. Looking forward to pruning soon.

4. Johnd

Johnd Large Member Supporting Member

Meanwhile, in the Deep South, record highs in the 80’s, pine and oak pollen everywhere, flowers blooming, and almost all of the trees are leafing out. Summers gonna suck.

5. treesaver

treesaver wino

No snow here. Sun was out today and in the low fiftys, so I went to hacking on my vines! Just got a good start, the sun going down and getting chilly out there! I'm changing some old vines that were trellised on double kniffen over to twc. I lose to much fruit on the lower wire to all kinds of varmits. Funny how everything just helps themselves to your grapes!

6. JimInNJ

JimInNJ Member

Moving the renewal zone up has got to be a lot easier than down. I built my trellis for VSP with two fruiting wires so I could experiment. Last year it was Pendelbogen, but I want to shift to Double Guyot on the lower wire.

I also have two Cabernet Franc vines that were leftover when I planted two years ago. I had temporarily stuck them in a corner of the garden and head trained them. That was NOT a good choice in such a vigorous site. This winter I built a lyre trellis for them, but the wires where I want to establish cordons are about a foot below the heads..

7. GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 Senior Member

I was wearing shorts on Tues/Wed. Tonight we are supposed to get 6-12" snow.

8. balatonwine

balatonwine The Verecund Vigneron

The current Arctic high-pressure system sure has tossed many for a cold snap. It's been -15°C (5°F) at night with -10°C (14°F) days for the past 10 days. Fortunately, weather should turn above freezing both nights and days next week. In any case, Spring should still arrive on schedule in the Northern Hemisphere: March 20th. :)

2018-02-21 15.06.33.jpg

9. GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 Senior Member

10. Kilohertz

Kilohertz Junior

I see I'm not the only one with a snow problem, got another 3" last night and just finished a plowing job, off to do one more after lunch. Can hardly wait to see the soil again....come on spring.

Cheers

11. CTDrew

CTDrew Member Supporting Member

It was in the 50s earlier in the week and I was out doing some pruning. Today in the 30s with rain and sleet. Hopefully soon the nice weather will win out!

12. NorCal

NorCal Super Moderator Super Moderator

Cold and wet, no snow and no hints of bud break here in the foothills of Nor Cal. View attachment 46975

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  13. JimInNJ

JimInNJ Member

14. JimInNJ

JimInNJ Member

Waiting for the next nor'easter. IMG_20180321_093201.jpg

NorCal, CTDrew and Ajmassa5983 like this.
  15. JimInNJ

JimInNJ Member

This is what spring looks like here:
    IMG_20180322_084806.jpg

16. wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy Member

Looks the same on this side of the Delaware River too....14" of spring covering everything.....

17. havlikn

havlikn Senior Member

Spring in SE Wisconsin. IMG_2789.jpg

JimInNJ, Masbustelo and JamesGrape like this.
  18. treesaver

treesaver wino

All my vines have been shaved! Not a sign of bud swell or sap run yet. Every night it is still getting into the twentys, and now they have snow in the forcast for this Sunday. Easter bunny gonna get a cold butt! Had let the stove (outside boiler) go out about a week ago, but was getting so cold in the house, I started it back again! Come on spring!

19. KevinL

KevinL Member

Just got done doing the last bit of pruning today. I've got some sap run and the buds look a touch bigger, but maybe it's just wishful thinking. Still pretty cold, but it is giving me time to slack off..

20. wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy Member

Starting to see a little sap run in the Chardonnay and Pinot. Snow is down to just a few dwindling piles and melting fast tonight.