Come on spring!!! What's it like at your vineyard?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilohertz

Reaction score
A this rate, we may see the soil by April, what a winter. Snowfall after snowfall, over 3' still in some places on my property here in the North Okanagan valley.

Anybody snow free yet?

Here is a picture from last week looking out at the hop yard, and soon to be started vineyard with 25 transplants from last summer. Hopefully they take root.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_5407.JPG
    DSC_5407.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Snow is gone, and it has been 40 and raining for a few days. Pretty much near flood conditions. The rain is suppose to turn to snow tonight and everything will be iced up come morning.

Meanwhile, in the Deep South, record highs in the 80’s, pine and oak pollen everywhere, flowers blooming, and almost all of the trees are leafing out. Summers gonna suck.

No snow here. Sun was out today and in the low fiftys, so I went to hacking on my vines! Just got a good start, the sun going down and getting chilly out there! I'm changing some old vines that were trellised on double kniffen over to twc. I lose to much fruit on the lower wire to all kinds of varmits. Funny how everything just helps themselves to your grapes!

Moving the renewal zone up has got to be a lot easier than down. I built my trellis for VSP with two fruiting wires so I could experiment. Last year it was Pendelbogen, but I want to shift to Double Guyot on the lower wire.

I also have two Cabernet Franc vines that were leftover when I planted two years ago. I had temporarily stuck them in a corner of the garden and head trained them. That was NOT a good choice in such a vigorous site. This winter I built a lyre trellis for them, but the wires where I want to establish cordons are about a foot below the heads..

The current Arctic high-pressure system sure has tossed many for a cold snap. It's been -15°C (5°F) at night with -10°C (14°F) days for the past 10 days. Fortunately, weather should turn above freezing both nights and days next week. In any case, Spring should still arrive on schedule in the Northern Hemisphere: March 20th. :)

2018-02-21 15.06.33.jpg

I see I'm not the only one with a snow problem, got another 3" last night and just finished a plowing job, off to do one more after lunch. Can hardly wait to see the soil again....come on spring.

Cheers

Looks the same on this side of the Delaware River too....14" of spring covering everything.....

All my vines have been shaved! Not a sign of bud swell or sap run yet. Every night it is still getting into the twentys, and now they have snow in the forcast for this Sunday. Easter bunny gonna get a cold butt! Had let the stove (outside boiler) go out about a week ago, but was getting so cold in the house, I started it back again! Come on spring!

Just got done doing the last bit of pruning today. I've got some sap run and the buds look a touch bigger, but maybe it's just wishful thinking. Still pretty cold, but it is giving me time to slack off..

Starting to see a little sap run in the Chardonnay and Pinot. Snow is down to just a few dwindling piles and melting fast tonight.

Latest posts

Back