Cold Weather plant clothing........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
Gonna try this under a new posting. I tried 2 times last night to post this and it wouldn't do it, so I gave up.

Here is tent city and how I dressed my plants up for the cold nights we had (are Having).

Caution: What you are about to see is not pleasant, but was neccessary for the preservation of the 2007 crops that will ultimately be wine.

You should never try this at home! Unless you live out in the woods with no neighbors.

Here is my yard at night. We left yesturday to go to family's house for the day so I left everything on. Apparently the daytime heat, and the heat of the lamps fried a couple of the lights, so what you are seeing is not all the lights that my neighbors have so racously endured.

My peach tree (1 of 5) dress in a full flowered print fitted and top sheet, with a light on the interior for warmth:

20070409_144150_Peach_tree_cove.jpg

My bear pear.......... With just a high out put light on it. It was just to big to wrap......... I hope it understands..... and it's loaded with fruit this year.

20070409_144346_Pear_tree.jpg

Im going to post this now, in case I lose it, and add to it under and edit.

Looks like a ghost and a bonfire in the distance!
smiley36.gif
You might be a red neck if!

Having problems posting the pics for some reason so bear with me.

Here is a bad shot of the currant tent, the muscadine tent and another peach tree.

20070409_150037_vinespeachandpe.jpg

This dim purpleish ligh is a very very happy peach tree. She is wrapped in a king size flannel sheets and has a high output light inside the sheet. When I first wrapped this 3 days ago, she was full of buds, now, right near the light are peaches that are about 1/2" in diameter........ she's a very happy peach tree, that is already thanking me.
20070409_150328_Peachwithvines.jpg

Here is the curran (7 total) and elderberry tent in the background and the muscadine tent with electri heater in it in the forground. They are drapped in plastic then old blankets(4) and keep a fairly constant 50 degrees all night on these cold nights......... I just hope they remember what I'm doing for them when they start producing a crop.
20070409_150628_Vine_currant_pe.jpg

Keep in mind that there are 2 more trees between these two below that also had lights on them. They blew and will have to struggle through te last couple of nights without protection. One of them is a small pear tree that will probably get replace this year anyways.
20070409_150832_PeachandPear.jpg
Edited by: jobe05

If your fruit don't bear, it's not because you didn't care enough to give them every chance. I wish you all the best in keeping them all safe and warm.

One thing about the cold weather here in the north is that the buds haven't even thought about swelling yet. Normally one of the first trees to bud out is poplar. They have just begun to swell up. I would say the trees are a good couple of weeks behind this year-not a bad thing in light of the weather.

Ok... Here's a few daylight shots............

Wouldn't you love to have me as your neighbor right now........

20070409_154413_peachand_pear_t.jpg

20070409_154525_peachandvineten.jpg

The maze of extension cords and garden hose throughout the yard.......
20070409_154650_yardmaze.jpg

A peak inside at my very happy peach tree:

20070409_154858_happypeach.jpg

I forgot to include an inside snapshot of my currants:

20070409_160530_Currants.jpg

There are 4 black currants, 1 pink, 1 red and 1 white along with one more elderberry, I couldn't get them all in the same shot. The first night we had frost, I just put plastic on them with a sprinkler. When I uncovered them the next day, they were completely frosted over. I thought they were gonners, but they stayed nice and green and perky. They seem like a very hardy plant.

Edited by: jobe05

Then we have all the wimps in the garage:

These are my seven new vines: Carlos, scuppernong, and 2 other types of scuppernong and muscadine (Can't remember their names yet)
20070409_155235_garagedvines.jpg

Then there is 2 plum tree's, 2 more peach trees and 2 elderberry tree's (Wildwoods from Marge) in the same pot till I can get them planted in their new beds.
20070409_155513_peachplumelderb.jpg

I love this elderberry tree, Marge said it was from her private collection since I wanted a 3 year old tree. Please don't correct me and call the Wildwood a bush....... I'll have Marge correct you...... and she will.
20070409_155937_elderberry.jpg

I tried to get a shot of the shoots already coming up from the roots of the elderberry. By the time I plant this, I'll have about 8 plants.
20070409_160115_elderberry_root.jpg

Looks about like my yard did jobe. I think all mine made it fine

How cold is it down there????

Guess this cold spell really made it's presence known across the country....Real unusual for you guys to experience this....They were saying on the news that the Strawberries and Cherries will be hit hard....

Hope you guys get through this...you sure put a lot of effort into it and I sure hope it pays off.

BTW...nice Elderberry plants!!!!

Since this past Thursday Morning, it's been below freezing at night, with at least 3 of those nights in the low 20's here. The first night I had a sprinkler on the peach (now in Flannel) and the Muscadines, but all the ice really scared me, so I opted to try to protect and heat each one.

I'll take more pictures of the Elderberries when I plant them in a week or two, but tey are nice plants and seem very adaptable and vigorous. I can't beleive how quickly the roots are shooting new growth up. When I'm ready to plant then NW, You'll have to PM me your address and I'll sent ya a couple of shoots to root.

Latest posts

Back