Cold Treatment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martina - You are my inspiration.
smiley1.gif
Wish me luck!

coldstab.jpg

Very cool! What kind is it?!?

Cover it up if it gets colder, and make sure you've got Vodka in the airlock!

But it looks so clear already! ?? !!

M.Edited by: MedPretzel

I'm throwing something on it now. The forecast looks good. Tonight should be the coldest it gets in the next week. It's pitch white now.

3 gallons - Lemon. I put some raspberry stolichnaya in the airlock.
smiley1.gif

I think it's a goner. I shouldn't have chanced it. I had it covered too.

The temp this morning showed 11 degrees.

I brought it in and it's an iceberg.
smiley19.gif

coldstab2.jpg
Edited by: jojo

smiley3.gif

Don't worry.... yet.

Good that you brought it in. I'm obviously no expert in this, but let it thaw and see what happens.

Put it in a warm area and try a bit of it tonight.

I'm rooting for you.... Don't freak out just yet....

Yikes!!!!! Thaw it slowly and put a towel under it, that carboy is going to frost and sweat once it gets into the warmth.....know about thawing cold stuff up here in the North....It will probably be okay....good luck!!!!

smiley32.gif

I am relieved!!!
smiley31.gif

A lemon WINE slushie always tastesgood.
smiley36.gif

This is what i would do. I would use a large-bore (large diameter) racking tube and rack into a room-temperature carboy. It will thaw a little quicker (the glass must be cold). Let the "frozen" carboy warm up on its own (i.e. don't put it in warm water or anything - risk of cracking/breaking). You'll be set for this evening.

Or...

You can just leave it be.
smiley36.gif

Edited by: MedPretzel

Brave play, jojo!
smiley36.gif

I wonder if you have now achieved the main goal of cold stabilizing,
which is to precipitate out excess tartaric acid. Being lemon wine, one
would think there wouldn't be much, rather mostly citric unless you used
acid blend at the start. You'd see crystals forming on the sides and
bottom of the glass. Probably one of the other things you accomplished is
to kill off remaining active yeast cells. At room temperature now, I'd just
let it sit and settle, give it the 'ol flashlight test from time to time.

Good luck, and let us know! Thanks.

Bill

jojo said:
It isn't solid.
smiley1.gif

I just checked it's just a slushy.

Quick grab a straw and have at it...the part that isn't frozen is the good stuff!
smiley2.gif

Well she has thawed completely and looks clear with some sediment on the bottom about a quarter inch of puffy cloud like stuff. The basement isat 45-50 degrees, so im leaving it near the window. I have my handy acid fruit chart for the next time.
smiley36.gif

Here's my story on cold Treatment. I place an order with George on Saturday for the Italian Pinot Grigio that was on sale this month. told my wife to look for a package some time Tuesday has I was leaving the for week on Monday. I've got two jobs going on right now, one in Longview, TX and one in Nacodghes, TX. I ask her to put in the house when came in. She call me Tuesday said it came in and it was in the house. Good wife, real Good wife. when i got home late Thursday,I look for the package but did not see it and thought i would look for it tomorrow. I could not find it so i ask her where it was. She brought me a door knob that i order from one of my door suppliers. "no"I said "the package from George where is it". She said "oh that one's out side on the porch"it was 17 degrees that morning. I think is right. I going try it anyway.

Bummer.
smiley19.gif

If my husband did that to me, he'd be getting the cold treatment.
smiley36.gif

But I have a feeling it will be fine. Cardboard seems to insulate well. Those kits sure withstand a lot of stressors. I am sure it will be fine.
smiley1.gif
I'm sure it wasn't that much warmer in the truck it came on. (hopefully!)

Keep us posted, please!

I followed through with Lemon and she's on day 4 of 35-40F. A few more days should do it.

I'm curious Martina. Before the crystals showed up in your carboy, was there evidence of separation on the bottom of the carboy at all? The reason I ask is that another forum mentions a separation, but not forming crystals on the glass. Maybe I need to reread this.
smiley5.gif

No, mine did not separate. It was just hard crystals on the side of the carboy. Moving the carboy from side-to-side didn't make them fall off either. They were also left at the the bottom after racking. They did not disappear (at least noticeably) when warm water was put in the carboy to rinse the carboy out.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks Martina. Yes, it did. Crystals are crystals. That makes sense.

I'm going to leave mine out another week to see if they form. Something is definitely going on.

Latest posts

Back