Cold Treatment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pH 3.63 tonight.
smiley1.gif
In other words, no change whatsoever.

9. pH doesn't seem to change with cold stabilization.

Northern Winos,Martina,Bill

Excellent jobon this thread with the explanation and photos. It is certainly great info and a learning experience for all winemakers.

I think our forum was just kicked up a notch with this one!

smiley20.gif

High praise masta, thanks! It seemed to arise from nowhere by itself and
Martina ran with it.

Martina, I meant did you take a TA reading originally, or can you now?

nope. I never take TA readings. pH is all I can do now. I could do those idiotic titrette things, but I'm not good at it, nor do I think the results are reliable.

This forum is great! I love adding all these pictures of the (sometimes) dumb things I do. I alwayshope maybe my experience will help others. Like with this post - if someone would have posted these crystals before, I wouldn't have freaked out (as much) this morning. I was quite worried, to say the least. I thought I had ruined it completely. I hope now that no one will worry about cold-stabilization and weird occurances in their carboys.
smiley1.gif

We're all here to learn and share.
smiley1.gif
(and sometimes brag!)

Martina - Remember this from awhile back? Sounds familiar...

See General Wine Questions/Discussions--What's left in the Carboy?--from
Polish Wine P, November 2

It never gets cold enough for an extended period of time here to try it. May be 22 degreestoday and back up to 62 tomorrow. Old saying in Arkansas, "If you don't like the weather here, just hang around for an hour and it will change".
smiley36.gif

bilbo-in-maine said:
Martina - Remember this from awhile back? Sounds familiar...

See General Wine Questions/Discussions--What's left in the Carboy?--from
Polish Wine P, November 2

Yes, I read that post, but mine looked very different, I thought. I didn't think of tartrate until I had racked a little of it off already. When I look at the pictures of that post, I found mine looked really crystally in comparison. And it didn't move at all.

But, of course, I was too freaked out at that time to really fathom any previous posts!

Thanks for reminding me! :)

Wow!!

So you can say that it helped in clearing, and the acid level must have
dropped.

How does it taste, and what is next for it?

Wow! That is absolutly beautiful. I would say that is what we are all striving for? So clear!

There is still some stuff dropping, but it's coming way along. I'm very happy that I "exposed" my wine to the cold. Sometimes the "cold shoulder" isn't so bad!!!
smiley36.gif

I will rack a few more times and then filter, I think. Maybe by x-mas?!? We'll see. I don't know when it'll be ready. This is a new experiment for me. :)

M.

MedPretzel said:
There is still some stuff dropping, but it's coming way along. I'm very happy that I "exposed" my wine to the cold. Sometimes the "cold shoulder" isn't so bad!!!
smiley36.gif

I will rack a few more times and then filter, I think. Maybe by x-mas?!? We'll see. I don't know when it'll be ready. This is a new experiment for me. :)

M.

Dang MArtina..a few more rackings between now and Christmas would be one about every 4-5 days wouldn't it?
smiley4.gif

Martina - Do you filter all your wines? You've talked about how long it
takes using the gravity filter you have.

Bill

Well,

I like to filter, but they have to be pretty clear before doing so with the gravity filter. Many people think gravity filters take too long for their wines, but I have never had the bad effects (too much contact with O2) with it. At least I haven't noticed it in my wines.

The gravity filter does take a while to go through. When the wine is clear (to the eye), and no sediment is at the bottom, I filter. Thismakesa 5 or 6 gallon process havea big reduction infilter time. There is usually remarkable gunk on the filter paper, even though the wine was clear.

I often say that I don't filterall my wines, but the more I am learning about the winemaking process, andthe more time I spend on my wines, I end up filtering them all (although I don't always plan to). I think it's ashame to have an almost perfect wine after spending so many months on it.

The mini-jet is something I would consider, if I had more wines in the process, but for me right now, the gravity filter does its job very well. I don't have a "filtering evening," so when I'm racking and fiddling with the other wines, the gravity filter is doing its thing. It seems to work for me.
smiley1.gif

M.

Martina, I too use a gravity filter for the same reason. I don't make that much wine to justify the price of a good minijet, Althought it would be nice, the gravity filter works well for me. Most of what I do are one gallon batches that get filtered only so that I can get that gallon jug empty for the next batch......... But I don't mind the extra time it takes...... Gives me time to have another glass of wine.....
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back