Cold Stabilizing Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I want to cold stabilize a white wine-RJS EP SB. #1) How long and what temp do you rec? #2) Those who use vodka in airlocks (due to freezing), do you have any concerns about vodka getting into the wine? I note I see water drip sometimes from my current airlock. #3) Can I avoid having to do a carboy transfer and put carboy in with small amount of sediment in bottom? I prefer to not have to top up again and seems like fallout can just add to it. Thanks!

(29°F to 39°F) for 10 to 14 days. I would not use an airlock but rather a solid stopper. Keep a close eye on the temp and rack and or filter it cold when you remove it from the freezer. It will contract when it freezes and expand when it warms up so watch it closely when it is allowed to warm back up!

I agree with what Mike said except I have a preference of 20-28* for a cold stabilizing temp. You can use a solid bung or an air lock with vodka. The vodka won't freeze or cause any problems if it did drip in your wine. I use a solid bung because with an air lock it is too high in my chest freeze. Rack your wine asap while it is cold (hint, place a towel under the new carboy as it will condensate a bit while warming back up).

Icold stabilize at about 32-35F for 14 days. I normally use vodka but don't worry about a few drops getting into the wine.

It seems peoples preferences center around the freezing mark. Is there a pro/con to being below or over 32 degrees? I plan to filter with the Vinbrite which takes longer than just racking. Is there an urgency in getting the wine racked while still ice cold? Can I filter it then bottle right away or should I let it age a bit longer or at least warm to room temp?

Gekko4321 said:
It seems peoples preferences center around the freezing mark. Is there a pro/con to being below or over 32 degrees? I plan to filter with the Vinbrite which takes longer than just racking. Is there an urgency in getting the wine racked while still ice cold? Can I filter it then bottle right away or should I let it age a bit longer or at least warm to room temp?

I did a lot of research recently and found there is no correct time or temperature ... but if you compile all the numbers and time and average them out it came to about 28* for about 2 weeks.

I think the key is to get the wine colder then it will ever get in the future. I have a freezer set at 28*and I will leave all future kits in for about 2 weeks.

What is the urgency to rack while still cold? Simply to avoid airlock pressure? Is it important to get wine off crystals before warming back to room temp? I am trying to evaluate whether to let it bulk age a little longer after CS.

Exactly, what precipitates and falls out of solution at one temperature could dissolve and go back into solution at the warmer room temp.

Always rack and or filter ASAP to get the tartaric acid crystals out just in case they decide to go back into solution.

Ok, great. Thx for that reply Mike. One followup question. Since filtering with Vinbrite can take 45 mins or so, should I rack first, then filter, before bottling or can I afford to wait that 45 mins knowing it is warming during that time frame? I am not sure how fast it warms up considering volume of liquid.

Al long as there is no sediment that would plug your filter you should be good to go straight to filtering. If you have a small amount of fine sediment you can try not to disturb it until the very end if there is just a little dust on the bottom.

If you just have crystals then you should be able to avoid them especially if you tilt the carboy and get them all on one side. They will not dissolve in the short time frame it takes to filter. And remember a white wine will always filter faster than a red wine. 30-40 mins vs 45-60 mins.

Would you filter then bottle straight away? Is it okay to bottle while wine is still chilled or should I wait a period of time? Thx Mike.

Remember you always want to bottle at room temperature. You can do as posted above but myself I prefer to rack and then filter later. This way I don't have to worrly about the sediment when racking and also I can filter when ever time permits if I've racked off of everything already.

Gekko4321 said:
Would you filter then bottle straight away? Is it okay to bottle while wine is still chilled or should I wait a period of time? Thx Mike.

We posted at the same time. Once filtered bottle when ever you want as time permits. No hurry but do not do it until wine is room temperature.

About to cold stabilize and note my fridge will not temp below 38 degrees. Can I still get crystals to drop out at this temp? Is the lowest temp achieved during CS the point which one is protected against crystals?

Gekko4321 said:

I would not bottle cold wine. I put cold wine in a barrel and as it warmed it overflowed for two days. I think it could expand enough to blow the cork.

Your definitely on the upper end but it should work, might take longer to form (3-4 weeks) at that temp but its worth a shot. All CS does is speed up the natural process of crystal formation. I have not seen loads of crystals forming in my kit wines but I have small amounts in all of my Cellar Craft Showcase Reds that have gone through one winter (or more) where the temps in the winery are 55 for about 4-5 months or so.Have not seen it in any whites to date and some are 2 years old now.

Gekko4321 said:
About to cold stabilize and note my fridge will not temp below 38 degrees. Can I still get crystals to drop out at this temp? Is the lowest temp achieved during CS the point which one is protected against crystals?

Everything I read says RJ Spags EP wines throw off lots of crystals. I wonder if I pack bags of ice in with the carboy if the temp can be brought down to 29ish in the small fridge.

I have a CC Showcase Zin I am making next so good to know about crystals there. Thanks for the continuing advice Mike.

Latest posts

Back