Cold Stabilizing Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is remarkable Rick. I can't believe how much and how fast the crystals formed. Hope this is not a commentary on the quality of my juice! Thanks for conducting the experiment.

Oh sweet irony and royal pain... I clear out the deep freezer and find that at the highest setting the temp only gets as high as 10 degrees. So fridge/freezer does not get low enough. Deep freezer does not get high enough. My search for 20-25 lies dashed on the rocks. To those that state they use deep freezers to accomplish CS, how do you do it?? I thought I had a pretty good Kenmore.

If this is a chest (or upright) type freezer of sorts just get one of the plug in thermostats like Rick has on his chest freezer. They will not work on a side by side fridge/freezer combo. Must be a freezer only model.

Any advice on a specific brand? I am looking and notice most range from 45 degrees to higher which would not work. I assume this device can trick my deep freezer into higher temps I seek?

The one that Fine Vine Wines sells should work just fine.

It says refrigerator but they work for either freezer or fridge. They work by cutting the power all together when the set temp is reached using another thermocouple that you stick inside the freezer.

Give George a call and he will confirm that this should do the trick.

George's has a range that starts at 30 degrees. A few reviews elsewhere indicate it does not get that low and has wide range flucs. That is my exact problem currently. I see a nicer one online that has range going as low as minus 30. Question is this. If my max setting on an outside fridge yields 33-40 range, how does this unit make it go say 25-29? I get on deep freezer it would cut off compressor til temp rises high enough. How does it make the fridge colder? How does it tell the compressor to stay on thru a simple plug? I am learning as I go so appreciate the understanding.

Hopefully Rick will chime in here since he was one hooked up to a chest freezer and we saw visual proof that his is controllable and set to ~ 25 degrees.

Yeah. I get how it works for freezer. It just cuts power. For the investment (yet another) I need it to work for my fridge. How does a plug in device tell the compressor, which is already answering to its own internal thermostat, that it needs to stay on?

There is no way a fridge will go that cold. Most of the people using these on fridges are beer makers or cheese makers that want it to go HIGHER than normal ~40-50 degrees. So same principal. It cuts the power until the temps rise to that set point and then turns the entire unit back on.

Makes sense but what confused me is one thermostat I saw that says this: "when hooked up to a refrigerator, it turns the compressor on when the ambient temperature rises above your programmed temperature." I cannot logically think how it could do that. My fridge has shown me 31 degrees. I just need another 2-6 degrees cooler. The product above seems perfect but I wonder what I am missing.

My best guess is that statement is true but only at the max capability of the fridge. If this wine did not throw crystals then my dilemma is over, but then again aren't high end wines supposed to throw crystals? Is there a chance when the temps in my fridge get to 32 the crystals form and then when it ranges up to 42 they re-absorb back into the wine?

Back