cold stabilization in a desert area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
Help!!!
I have to admit that living in a warm area may be easier to start fermentation but keeping wine cool or longing for cold stabilization is frustrating.:(:(:(

i was wondering if i could use an old small 4 cu ft refrigerator and try to keep the temp at 25 - 40 degrees f:?:?:?:?.

i was also thinking of using a ten gallon igloo and putting a small carboy in it adding ice and water to the appropriate temp:?:?:?:?:?

feedback
corinth

Help!!!
I have to admit that living in a warm area may be easier to start fermentation but keeping wine cool or longing for cold stabilization is frustrating.:(:(:(

i was wondering if i could use an old small 4 cu ft refrigerator and try to keep the temp at 25 - 40 degrees f:?:?:?:?.

i was also thinking of using a ten gallon igloo and putting a small carboy in it adding ice and water to the appropriate temp:?:?:?:?:?

feedback
corinth

You can use a dorm type fridge for sure. If you stabilize your wine at that temp, like 35 F, once bottled, they won't drop diamonds unless they're stored colder than that. I store my reds at 55, whites a tad colder. Sometimes, my wines end up in a refrigerator when I'm away from home, so stabilizing at fridge temps is my choice.

Here is a nice solution - using a chest freezer -

mine was just a little shy of the depth - so I added some styrofoam to make up the room between the lid and the unit

It has its own probe and the freezer electrical power circuit ties onto this controller so it bypasses the original one. No need to even cut or remove the original sensor.
It does do hot and cold , but only has a 10 amp rating if I remember correctly.

I am using a RANCO ETC-111000 - best price is here =

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015NV5BE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

you have to add your own extension cord to it - easy wiring - last for years

Here is a similar one - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ISS6H8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is really nice for parties - keeps all the beer and pop at 28 degrees and no ice needed !!

Last edited by a moderator:
cold stabilization in a desert like area

If you already have not noticed, I give a lot of 'liked the post'. It does mean that I hae gotten all the ansers I have received, it just means I truly appreciate:h:h:h the time you took out of your day to respond to my question.

Corinth

Back