cold stabilization again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
i have finally had enough of the tartaric acid flakes. i went out and bought a freezer today and am going to cold stabilize most of my wines. if there is another way besides cold stabilization to solve this problem please let me know.

here is my process and i just want to know when would i cold stabilize for the two weeks
1. primary
2. put in secondary
3. first racking
4. second racking
5. add my potassium sorbates
6. super clear
7. back sweeten if needed
8. bottle

would it be ok to cold stabilize after the super clear was added or should i do it before i sorbate it?

am i correct the process is two weeks at about 25-28 degrees ?

thanks
jerry

Wait until after the sorbate addition. Any potassium addition can cause instability and floaters later. The cold stabilization helps alleviate this problem. I also like to sweeten if need be before the CS as it will help reclear the wine if need be from sweetening. A couple weeks of 25-30 degrees will do it. Rack off the acid before bottling.

thanks appleman, is this correct then. sorbate, superkleer,rack, sweeten thencold stabalize, rack then bottle.

wouldn't a fridge actually be better but just take a little longer?
also, i read somehwere cold stabilization changes the taste of the wine. is that true?

wouldnt a fridge actually be better but just take longer? also, i read somewhere that cold stabilization changes the taste of the wine, is that true? and using the fridge less chance of cracking the carboy

That is correct jerry, but be certain you use some k-meta also with the sorbate, especially in a red where mlf could or has occured.

The freezer works great. You just need to set the temperature around 30 degrees. You use vodka in the airlocks so it doesn't freeze. The colder temps allow the CS to proceed quicker and no it doesn't affect the flavor, although it will lower the acids which is generally desired anyways if you are considering doing it to begin with.

Along the same lines. Once the acid precipitates, is it likely to go back onto solution again if not racked off? In other words, say in bottled wine, can it be cold stabilized in the bottle with lasting effects or will it be temporary once it's back at room temp for a while?

I bought a chest freezer that will hold a six gallon carboy. The problem is I can not adjust the temp to 25degrees. It has seven adjustments , 1 being the warmest. 1 the first adjustment is 46 degrees, 2 is -5 degrees. Could I have bought a cheap brand(HAIER) ,or is a refrigerator betterjust set it to the lowest temp and it will just take a little longer.

That looks like a Johnson Controls unit. They are awesome! My freezer goes down to -25C which is -13F, and is a little too cold for wine. With a JC unit, I can control that temp correctly and not freeze/distill my wine.

jnmar said:
Along the same lines. Once the acid precipitates, is it likely to go back onto solution again if not racked off? In other words, say in bottled wine, can it be cold stabilized in the bottle with lasting effects or will it be temporary once it's back at room temp for a while?

Some folks say to rack off immediately or it will resuspend at room temperature. It should be racked at your convenience but as soon as you can. I have left it on the bottom before to see if it really happens and even after a month, no visible depletion of the crystals. I'm sure some goes back into the wine, but not all right away.

Good to know Rich. Im sure most of it wont once it becomes crystal like that but Ive racked immediately the few times I have done it just to be safer just because Ive heard that but couldnt imagine much of it being back into suspension unless you drill mixed it up to break it up.

After Wade hounding me I am also using the same thermostat. It will only take my freezer down to 28* max. I wish I had the option to go down another 5* even though it does work perfect and is good insurance against freezing. If your next step is to bottle after cold stabilizing make sure your wine is back up to room temperature before doing so.

I use a digital one that I bought before George started selling them but I only use it to control heat on my beer making unit and not for my freezer but I do know many of people using these units for that specific reason or to lager their beers with.

jerry said:
Wade said:
What you need is this! Call George to make sure this unit goes low or high enough for you but Im almost positive it does. You plug your unit right into this unit and it controls the temp.
http://www.finevinewines.com/p-2769-fe600.aspx

would Lowes or Home Depot carry it ?

Wade just said he does own one. The big box stores do not carry these and neither do appliance repair stores. These aree a specialty item and George has the best price.

I dont think those places would sell these but possibly a special order but I doubt even that. Mainly just Beer and Wine Supply stores Like George.

But if it dont work from there have fun returning it and dealing with them. George is a much easier call.

Latest posts

Back