RJ Spagnols Coffee Port started - RJSpagnols

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joes original coffee port thread called for 4 tablespoons instant coffee. if you put in 14-17 level teaspoons (with an actual measuring spoon and not a coffee spoon) that would translate to 4 2/3 to 5 2/3 which is not that much more. I only used 2 and it is everyones favourite port style so far

cheers

Joe says 2 TBSP (just talked to him) , my tsp calc is rounded tsps. 3 tsp = 1 TBSP = 9 tsps.
I'm afraid I used too much. I used the last of a jar of coffee, I don't even have a clear measurement , just an estimate.

At first I thought the peeps concerned all just wanted "guzzle" wine heh but every last posin didn't like it but then I tried it again and I don't like it either - it sort of starts off ok but then as you get to the end of a glass it's ' what is that?

I sort of liked it at first - but it wasn't ready then as it's settled it's not gotten better.
I think I'll try using it in my coffee.

Last edited:
When good wines are sent to a bad place

OK I sampled the filtered 4 oz reserve bottle :dg

It doesn't taste good in coffee - it even curdled the coffee creamer - that having been dealt with, my opinion is it still was not meant to go in coffee - undrinkable. A waste of good coffee.
:< :rn

Maybe the taste of it now filtered in the wine glass as wine is better, but I'm pretty sure the problem is too much instant coffee - it is not a "bad" taste - it is drinkable - just strange or not really good. More like an "acquired taste if forced to".
I'll bottle the remaining 6 litres in 12 times 500 ml corked bottles and give some away to guinea pigs ..er.. friends to get feed back - along with a warning and also some good wine to make up for it.

And as for the rest I'll drink it in the still dark hours of the night as penance.

:dg :d :p :)

Last edited:
tweaks

I didn't add much powdered coffee to mine, perhaps 1-2 packs (single serve) of Starbucks Via. It was all we had on hand & had gotten it for free.

I did notice that there was this strange/fake/sweet taste that was objectionable after adding the f-pack, but before the powdered coffee. Adding oak seemed to take the edge off of it and make it less objectionable.

Depending on how yours tastes, you may want to try and add oak before dumping it...

I didn't add much powdered coffee to mine, perhaps 1-2 packs (single serve) of Starbucks Via. It was all we had on hand & had gotten it for free.

I did notice that there was this strange/fake/sweet taste that was objectionable after adding the f-pack, but before the powdered coffee. Adding oak seemed to take the edge off of it and make it less objectionable.

Depending on how yours tastes, you may want to try and add oak before dumping it...

Thanks.

It's drinkable - after a fashion - I bottled the 6 litres (in 12 times 500 ml) and had some more sampler - couple of good glasses. At 15.4 percent it sure makes my head spin easily. It's hard to finger what exactly is off - could be the strange/fake/sweet taste you described but best bet I think it is the added coffee ,it's not immediately obvious. I'll blind taste it to some more people. One previous person did concur with the suggestion of too much added coffee. I need corroboration!
After the filtering - the wine seems to taste and look clearer but the off taste is still there.

I was thinking of blending it with something on on hand - something to dilute the coffee, if that's what it is - I'll try a few experiments. It's interesting.

Don't know where I can get oak - not around here - perhaps in the capital - haven't been there for six months.

I added 4Tbl instant coffee and 4Tbl medium toast oak powder in the primary, for a 3 gallon batch. Topped off with about 2 cups brandy. It was phenomenal!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I added 4Tbl instant coffee and 4Tbl medium toast oak powder in the primary, for a 3 gallon batch. Topped off with about 2 cups brandy. It was phenomenal!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I got 6 litres left just filtered. Maybe I should mix it with brandy - that might fix it? - or perhaps some version of kilju.

anyone have any ideas what I cloud mix it with to save it? I think the problem is over-coffee-ed so just dilute it with something seems the answer.

I got it in 500 ml bottles so I could use 1 bottle for testing purposes.

Joeswine has suggested to me saving my 6 litres of over-coffeed Coffee Port by diluting with Everclear (95 % ABV) and simple syrup for (backsweetening).
Thus making a Coffee-cello.

I think the idea of simple dilution is a good one. I have 12 times 500 ml bottles. I think I'll try some test mixes with (Vodka, simple syrup and water) with one bottle (Hic ! :d ). If that works fine, I'll make some Kilju - (water wine) at 15.4 percent (which is the same percent as my coffee Port) and blend with the coffee port.

Last edited:
Maybe you have to find the right store in the right city in the right province.

Last edited:
It is available at the SAQ in Quebec. Don't recall what it is called but it is somethinkg like 85% ABV.

Jeff

I have been wanting to do this kit for a while a perhaps this is the year. When or what time of year does Spagnols release it?

It is released in the fall but it has to be pre-ordered. Check around with some of our sponsors, they may still have it available for order.

I pre-ordered a kit in early May. I think the pre-orders may be ending soon (i.e. next 1-2 weeks), so if you want to do a kit this year...you ought to order now.

I believe George at FineVineWines sometimes order a few extra on the off chance you miss the pre-order deadline.

Latest posts

Back