Coffee kept me awake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I was reading that 100 recipe book the other day and i came across a recipe for coffee wine.
I don't like the ingredients and method so i searched my notes.
We have a recipe but i still searched the web a bit.
Jack Kellar has a couple in his selected recipe section. I want to use instant coffee.
Jack calls for 1 1/2 cups of instant coffee per gallon. Sounds like mud as much as I respect Jack.
The 100 recipe book calls for 1 tablespoon per gallon. That sounded too weak.
We decided to try3 tablespoons per gallon.
We are making a 3 gallon batch and naturally multiplied all ingredients.
We used acid blend instead of lemon zest and juice.
We started fooling with it about 7 pm and we just pitched the yeast at midnight.
The mixture had to cool to room temp first..
Its fun.. I use slim fast a lot to keep my weight down. I wonder if i could make slim fast wine??????
smiley34.gif
Edited by: scotty

I want to make some coffee wine and some wheat wine for my Dad. Please keep us posted on the progress.

The recipe I have calls for 5 Tbsp. of instant coffee per gallon scotty. It also has honey in it.

swillologist said:
The recipe I have calls for 5 Tbsp. of instant coffee per gallon scotty. It also has honey in it.

Have you made it with your recipe???

I really thought that 1 1/2 cups of instant powder per gallon in jacks recipe would be awful. I hope that my 3 tbsp/gal is not too weak.
I just looked at it at 7 am and the 212 is doing its job.

BTW this is the first time i am using a glass carboy as a primary.

I chose a 5 gallon glass onefor my 3 gal+ batch. Its nice to see the yeastaction.
I will revert to 2 stirrings a day because the contact with air is a bit restricted by the carboy opening. I hope this doesn't cause problems.

My thought is to go under lock without a transfer of liquid.
When I use the plastic primaries, I always stir on the day of transfer and carry most of the lees to the secondary.

When the concoction ferments dry I will then rack off the lees into another 5 gallon carboy where i will de gas and treat with sorbate and sulfites.
Finally after this step, i will transfer to a 3 gallon carboy which will be filled to near the top. I will install a cork plug and seal it with wax, After that aging a while I guess.
I really have no idea what to expect. It just seemed easy and we were looking for something to pass time.

There will be some left over for tasting and a back sweetening experiment.

Any thought from anyone?????
smiley1.gif
Edited by: scotty

I just stirred it and boy did it foam up. We have a couple of pictures which i will link to as soon as we get them over to photobucket.
I have no luck posting pictures here.
I thought i was computer savy. I guess I cant read well
smiley5.gif

I have never made any scotty. The recipe is in the book I use. I have only made 3 batches of wine so far, a grape out of fredona grape, a rhubarb and a tart cherry.
With your permission can I try to post you picture?

swillologist said:
I have never made any scotty. The recipe is in the book I use. I have only made 3 batches of wine so far, a grape out of fredona grape, a rhubarb and a tart cherry.
With your permission can I try to post you picture?

It would nice of you sir.

please post both

Thanks
smiley4.gif

The first one is what i found at about 7 am this morning. I pitched a starter bottle at about midnight.

The second one is the surprise i got whin i gave the babys ther morning stir.

My first thoughts were that this thing of using a carboy as a primary must be suffocating the yeast.

After a couple of hours, we used a flashlight and saw loads of little bubbles rising.

I intend to stir this batch 2 times a day because i'm still a bit leary of a primary with such a small opening that is so far from the surface of the liquid.
I envision carbon dioxide stopping air from getting to the yeast.

Any thoughts out there?????((about this batch I mean)))

Yeast only need oxygen to reproduce - and little even for that. The oxygen that is in the must is usually enough. Once the CO2 production starts it drives the remaining oxygen (and nitrogen) out of the wine, even in an open topped pail. Once you have vigorous fermentation, you have enough yeast cells to do the job, and reproduction is no longer an issue.

The reason we use a pail for a primary in a country wine, and stir daily, is to prevent the fruit from forming a cap on the top and rotting. In a wine like this stirring serves only to re-suspend the yeast and keep it in contact with the remaining sugar.

In kit production we transfer to a secondary when fermentation slows down specifically to keep the wine away from oxygen.

Its bubbling like mad pete. I wont worry about the oxygen now. I will however keep stirring and then put it under lock in a few days.

Latest posts

Back