co2 removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFBIII

Junior
Reaction score
Well used the drill stir to push off the co2 today,I had some foam come out of the top ofthe carboy....good or bad? I slowed the drill speed and was able to keep most in the carboy. With the drill attachment,I did it for longer than the2 min, and noticed the foam decrease alot, but still had little bubbles on top after...is this normal?The foam disappeared nothing like it was at first.. Note to self Slower drill speed?

Intermitten bursts help. Personally i was never able to totally degass in one session. Maybe those vacum pump folks went through this already.
smiley1.gif

Oh yes! It is very hard to degass a wine Especially if you dont let it
age and especially if it is colder. A warm temp of lets say 75 will
make degassing much easier and degassing in a primary also makes it
easier for the co2 to get out. Just be careful of oxygen exposure. RJ
Spagnols kits have you do full fermentation in the primary now and
degass in the primary and that made it alot easier let me tell ya!

Edited by: wade

wade said:
Oh yes! It is very hard to degass a wine Especially if you dont let it age and especially if it is colder. A warm temp of lets say 75 will make degassing much easier and degassing in a primary also makes it easier for the co2 to get out. Just be careful of oxygen exposure. RJ Spagnols kits have you do full fermentation in the primary now and degass in the primary and that made it alot easier let me tell ya!

Wade, I don't like the possibility of ruining my primary. I don't think i could bring myself to use the drill etc in the plastic.
smiley1.gif

It was a WE kit and it has been 4 weeks out of my primary with a temp of 68F.

Stabilized & degassed two batches this morning. Had wine all the floor. Volcano's going off left & right.

No matter how long weve been doing this or how hard we try to not get the VOLCANO, it just catches you off guard and gets ya!

I rack back to the primary to stablize and fine, beat it to death with the fizz-ex, but I just keep going back and forth so I don't pull O2 into the wine. I got tired of watching my wine go down the sink.
smiley13.gif

Since I normally only work on my wine batches on the weekend I have found giving them extra time (more than 10 days) before degassing helps quite a bit to prevent the volcano effect. The extra time allows the wine to degas itself somewhat to reduce the amount of dissolved CO2 in the wine. Keeping the batch at the proper temperature (70-75) also helps this process.

I guess I am way past the not having patience stage and more at the trying to find enough time to get batches moved along stage!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back