CO2 protection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, both, actually.

Well, actually, I was thinking more of the sun and the salt of some wonderful beaches in the world.
smiley36.gif

Ah yes, that has been proven to work very well indeed. Great healings have been done at the beach.
smiley36.gif

I also share your theory. I tested it with my latest kit. I
just started a WineExpert Luna Rossa. This time I decided to keep
it in the primary for a full 23 days (I think). Until the
stabilization stage anyway. My bucket has a cover with an
airlock. So on day four I cranked down the cover and put it under
an air lock. I figured that by keeping the yeast undisturbed, it
may be happier and keep working.

My wines seem to want to stop working after I put them into the
carboy. They stop around .998. I have never gotten down to
the .992 level.

Anyway. I also felt that the CO2 inside the bucket would protect
it. So far so good. I did not detect any oxidation taste at
all. Plus I avoided some air by eliminating a racking.

I would only recommend this to people with a tight cover with a rubber
gasket and an airlock. Those that use the Syran wrap method may
not be able to utilize this method.

Vinmaker.

AAASTINKIE said:
What some might not know is CO2 will blanket the wine
in the primary and secondary from air very well, when I'm not sweeping
the floor at work, I also run a GE 60 megawhatt turbine generator, the
generating section is run in a pure hydrogen atmosphere (very slippery)
when we take it down for maintenence we have to degass it. When we
refill it we push the air out by putting CO2 in from the bottom, it
does not mix much with the air but statifies and pushes the air out the
top, then when we have pure CO2 coming out the top we inject hydrogen
in the top till it pushes all the CO2 out the bottom. Thats why I feel
using a primary bucket for my secondary is OK bcause the must is still
fermenting, I accept the fact that if I want top quality glass would be
the way to go, but right now I am just thirsty!!
smiley4.gif
(remember interesting posts get extra points) what contest.
smiley36.gif

Just the first racking when doing juice only fermentations, so I wonder, why not just start it in a carboy?

The only drawback to that is the head space you have with using the normal primary fermenter since some kits I have done do foam up. The other option is too reduce the level in the carboy so you have more head space.

I, too, would be leery about starting a wine in a carboy (I speak from experience). I have had my share of cleanups by trying.

My first wine ever..in 1970, a neighbor explained how he did his so I tried it twice. I used a 5-gal. bucket, 1/4 filled with squeezed starfruit and juice. I remember using "bakers yeast," water from the pipe, and unknown amount of sugar and let her rip. I think it was around 30 days left in the primary with just the lid sitting on top-no airlock, or any other items in the primary.

I remember stirring now and then that was about it. After a period of time, one day I peeked and the wine was clear, with all the fruit and lees settled to the bottom. It came out from what I remembered quite good, sorta remined me of a heavy brandy.

Now basing that theory from what Stinkie and Vinmaker posted (taking to mind the reason I rack, to eliminate the lees and shoot for a clear wine without any possible off-flavors from settled dead yeast, etc.) I would want to rack after initial fermentation.

Now with only juice, whether clear juice or a cloudy soupy juice, that would eventually settle on it's own, why would we not be able to start the primary process in a carboy at a lower level, let it run, watch the lees settle undisturbed, draw a sample to test S.G., then top up after all the action has slowed down and proceed further.

At this point, I agree with CW...why not.

People do it all the time. It is not uncommon. some folks even start a kit in a 6 gallon carboy and add water a little at a time over several days. This of course will void the warranty, but who has to know?

I just couldn't use bread yeast. Call me "new-fashioned" but, that is something I couldn't do.

Actually, I have never used it, and have been contemplating using it in a 'new-old fashioned' low alcohol wine.

I spoke with the old timers about yeast, wine, beer and moon shine theories of the old days. They think that I am sorta nuts about it all regarding controlled enviroment, chemicals, various yeasts, etc. And you know, their stuffwasn't the greatest, but it wasn't bad either considering..

Hey, I love the good white lightning that is still made here. It is very clear, and has a very neutral taste. It is smooth going down, but sometimes hurts my belly.

Maui Joe said:
I spoke with the old timers about yeast, wine, beer and moon shine theories of the old days. They think that I am sorta nuts about it all regarding controlled enviroment, chemicals, various yeasts, etc. And you know, their stuffwasn't the greatest, but it wasn't bad either considering..

I totally agree with this. My gramma made wine too, and I have to say, the only thing she really made sure of was that she got wine yeast. The rest was left in Mother Nature's hands.
smiley36.gif

I can imagine that. She used all the things that were left over in her garden. She had a very green thumb, and always had about 15 gallons going.

Back