CO2 protection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTINKIE

Reaction score
What some might not know is CO2 will blanket the wine in the primary and secondary from air very well, when I'm not sweeping the floor at work, I also run a GE 60 megawhatt turbine generator, the generating section is run in a pure hydrogen atmosphere (very slippery) when we take it down for maintenence we have to degass it. When we refill it we push the air out by putting CO2 in from the bottom, it does not mix much with the air but statifies and pushes the air out the top, then when we have pure CO2 coming out the top we inject hydrogen in the top till it pushes all the CO2 out the bottom. Thats why I feel using a primary bucket for my secondary is OK bcause the must is still fermenting, I accept the fact that if I want top quality glass would be the way to go, but right now I am just thirsty!!
smiley4.gif
(remember interesting posts get extra points) what contest.
smiley36.gif

HEY HEY....I also work with hydrogen in pressure rated reactor autoclaves....running a reaction right now @ 105 psia/60 degrees C.

sssssh...I am multi tasking boss!
smiley36.gif

Stinkie, as the fermentation slows, the yeast does not need nearly as much O2 (anaerobic) as it did during the trip from a high SG down to say 1.010 (aerobic)After the wine gets thin and has lots of alcohol, the yeastare producing very little CO2, andthe wine is less protected, and will, without doubt, become oxidised. To what degree, I don't know, but you need to get it topped up and in a carboy definitelylower than 1.000.Live and learn.

Well as soon as I can I'll go pickup some more 23ltr carboys, the place in Bangor only gets $18 for them in glass. thanks for the help.

I agree. I wish I could get them for $18. There is absolutely no place anywhere near here for me to get any supplies. Everything must be shipped in and heavy objects get expensive!

A great store is FineVineWines.com

Use it, you're using their forum!

Martina

George's prices are actually hard to beat, especially if you don't live too far away.

Actually, George's prices are great...It's the shipping to me that kills my "toy wants."
smiley19.gif

Georges prices are great, and if you live 50 miles from your nearest wine shop like I do with gas at $2 per gallon and no sales tax (5%) and free labels and the brown truck brings it to your house...and you get most of your help here when you have a problem ...and your local wine guy says air is OK for wine (showing you his 1/2 full carboys)..buying from George is a NO BRAINER it's the only way to go!!
smiley4.gif

(does that sound better)Edited by: AAASTINKIE

I mean it's a good deal buy my items from George even though I live far away from him, the islands might be a different story.

Yeah, George tries his best to accommodate us but the Postal Dept. gouge deep. I'd love to buy more kits, and toys but it's like double and this causes me to hold back alot.

Wow, that's a lot more.
smiley19.gif
Kit wines are fun, but I also have a lot of fun making country wines. There are certain fruits that you can get interesting results from. For example carrots make a nice wine.

For sure, I enjoy making our local fruit wines that grow everywhere here. I have Passion fruit, Pineapple, Star Fruit, Orange, Mango, Apple, Banana, Blueberry, Concord.??? something else??

Never tried vegetables, or herbs, flowers etc. I was raised Italian, and it's hard to drift away from the Reds/.

O'kay Stinkie, I will post it over at the "Recipe" forum section and also add my comments to the subject.

Back