Co2 for Head-space?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanM362

Junior
Reaction score
New wine maker here. Question, can I use Co2 (I have some for force carbonating beer) to fill head-space while aging wine? I know leaving the wine exposed to O2 can lead to problems, but wondering if the O2 in Co2 causes the same issues.

What are the best gases for displacing oxygen in head-space? Where can you buy them?

Thanks!

The most common gas I see used is Argon. Co2 is something that I'm sure will protect the wine, but I am always working to get it out of the wine.

I've used both CO2 to purge the headspace and not had any trouble. I use it for purging out containers before racking wine into it. As NorCal mentions it does tend to dissolve into the wine, which can cause a light vacuum. I've only noticed an impact to the wine when I purge out the headspace on bottles of wine, where the headspace can be equivalent in volume to the wine. So I'd say CO2 is fine for a small headspace and Ar or N2 is the more expensive but better option for relatively larger amounts of headspace.

I know leaving the wine exposed to O2 can lead to problems, but wondering if the O2 in Co2 causes the same issues.

I agree with the others, but will directly address your underlying concern: CO2 is inert. It does not undergo deleterious chemical reactions with your wine.

You can buy Ar, N2, or CO2 at a welding supply store.

You seem to know this, but let me just state it for the record: Any protection from the gas is due to displacing O2, as you say. It is not the case that heavier gases will protect the wine by excluding the lighter O2 by dint of its higher density. Gases freely mix together after a few minutes, and any O2 left will have unfettered access to your wine.

Thanks for stating that more clearly. I am trying to completely purge the O2 with Co2, not just create a blanket barrier layer of Co2.

I once bought a blended can of Ar, N2, Co2. Figured I could use as a failsafe for the few inches of standard headspace. Needed the perfect trigger touch for a nice smooth gas flow.
It purged very well. Unfortunately it was the wine purged out, not O2. All the way to the ceiling! That’s what happens when ya try to get cute.
Immediately went Back to purging O2 from my wine with more wine.

Latest posts

Back