Clorox

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I was told to never wash anything in clorox. Is this true, and if so, Why?

Semper Fi

Later Bud

I would say incorrect, as they pride themselves as being on of the best and safest ways to sanitize and clean childrens toys and kitchen surfaces. Providing you follow the ratio of bleach to water that is listed on the bottle. I see nothing wrong with doing it. It follow the ratio of bleach to water and rinse it well you'll be fine. The preserve water they even say you can add a few drops of bleach. IT'S SAFE

- Joey

The only reason you can't use it is because the wine store won't be able to make 10$ selling you that pink stuff!!

Seriously, I've been using bleach for my heavy cleaning forever and my dad did the same too and never had a problem, just make sure to rince 3-4 times, until the chlorine smell is completely gonem

The belief is that TCA (ie the major fault known as corked wine) can be triggered by chlorine. So many folks do not allow chlorine near their winemaking operation.

Second, chlorine needs to be rinsed well. Folks who have any concerns/issues with their rinse water use a no-rinse sanitizer.

Finally, chlorine bleach is not really a cleaner, it is a sanitizer.

Basically it's your choice.

Steve

Thanks

Thanks to all of you'll for all the help you have given me. I don't believe that in all the things I have attemped, I have ever had soo many people jumping in to help me. If I can ever help any of you'll with what little I knowledge I have about gas logs or gas grills please let me help you, I would like to return all the favors you have given.

Semper Fi

Later Bud

The only reason you can't use it is because the wine store won't be able to make 10$ selling you that pink stuff!!

Seriously, I've been using bleach for my heavy cleaning forever and my dad did the same too and never had a problem, just make sure to rince 3-4 times, until the chlorine smell is completely gonem

I do the same. I wash everything with bleach and have never had a problem. I use sanitizer when working with my equipment, but when cleaning up between batches, I use bleach.

I will use bleach to sanitize my carboys and bottles THAT I WON'T BE USING FOR AWHILE. Bleach can remain in plastics and can linger inside bottles as vapors that can effect your wine.

Basically when I get used bottles and carboys I'll soak them in soapy bleach water and clean them really good. Then set them aside till later use.

It goes without saying never mix chemicals.

It goes without saying never mix chemicals.
Now if I follow that advise I would not have enjoyed my youth nearly as much as I did.
Really I mix chemicals every day and so do you. I put Kmeta and sorbate in at same time and dissolve them in warm water together. Better say never mix chemicals you don't know it is ok to mix. Ya I am still laughing Steve

I use Star Sans... Love that stuff... Don't fear the bubbles! But I'm also a beer brewer first!

Washing with bleach works well, the only problem is that you are intoducing bacteria back by rinsing. Unless you are rinsing with sterile water which I dont think anyone is doing you are defeating your purpose here folks. Its just as cheap or even cheaper to use a S02 solution and less work as you dont have to rinse it!

on the occasion when I haven't had metabisulphite for sterilising... I've used bleach..

when rinsing bleach off my equipment I did it with boiling water.. this is the plastic primaries etc... I have rinsed out glass with boiling water as well.. you have to ensure the glass is warmed first.. so use hot tapwater, add the bleach, drain the bleach and rinse out the glass with the boiling water... ( just off the boil).. swirl well and drain.. rinse 3-4 times this way .. til the bleach smell is gone.

I haven't lost any wine using this method.

Allie :bt

Washing with bleach works well, the only problem is that you are intoducing bacteria back by rinsing.
What I do to prevent this, is put sulfites in a spray bottle and spray the equipment before using. I usualy only use bleach before and after storing or when something is really stained (like when I make merlot ;) )

Yes, spray everything down with sulfite solution and let drip dry or wipe down with paper towel. I keep my carboys with a very small amount of this sulfite solution in there with a airlock or solid bung. These sulfite gases keep the carboys or buckets sanitized at all times and works better if your using a bucket as the gases get into all the grooves much better then most liquids will do. I also do this with my corks, I keep a small glass (Mason jaror something not metal) in a bucket with seal-able lid and throw all my corks and racking hoses in there and seal it up. You can put anything that you use for wine making in there as long as its not metal as the sulfite solution will corrode the metal.

So I'm guessing that money I spent on EBay for some left over nuculear waste for my future sanatizing was a waste. :)
Heck we have a plant just North of us that treats meat and everything with it...
It's back to K-meta.

Also keep in mind that plastic primary fermenters will hold a scent after a while depending on quality...I don't use the same for wine and beer for that reason and when it gets too bad I just retire it ;)

Latest posts

Back