Clearing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southlake333

Reaction score
So I started a batch of Hard Apple Cider and Welch's Grape Wine on the same day. Here I am after all the racking, SG checking, stabilizing, etc. 5 days ago I added sparkolloid to the cider and bentonite to the Welch's. The cider is clearing (although not nearly as fast as I would like). I can see separate beams of light through it (from the led flashlight) but its not "clear". My question is about the Welch's. It is so dark, not only can I not read through it, light doesn't even penetrate! Both pictures below are of the wines with a flashlight behind them. That's some dark stuff!

So how do I know when the Welch's is clear? Bentonite should have done its job fairly quickly, but I've never made such a dark wine like this so I'm not sure what it should look like when done (or even half way done).

0621121915-1870.jpg

0621121916-1869.jpg

Southlake, take a sample of the wine and put it in a clear wine glass. Hold the glass on an angle over a white sheet of paper. You will be able to see if the wine is clear.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll try that! I did try putting it in my SG testing tube and could see through it just fine there but I'll try the glass trick too.

Latest posts

Back