Clearing cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Just made 3 gallons of cider .
I am attempting clear but keep viable yeast so I can carb and Bottle condition.

I currently have the cider in my garage cold crashing, but There is too much air space in the carboy to keep it there past a week.

Will clarifying agent make all the viable east drop out?
Should I rack to a couple of hugs and let it age and clear?

I had hoped to be drinking by the end of the year.

Hi Elmer - Did you add pectic enzyme before you pitched the yeast? I think after all the sugar has been fermented out you can still add enzymes to break up the pectins (apples are rich in pectins) but you may need to double the amount of enzymes you add after fermentation. You may also want to try adding some Bentonite although I think that the clay works best when the yeast are still active and their action in producing CO2 keeps the Bentonite in suspension and so is able to continuously remove particulate material from the wine or cider.

Hi Elmer - Did you add pectic enzyme before you pitched the yeast? I think after all the sugar has been fermented out you can still add enzymes to break up the pectins (apples are rich in pectins) but you may need to double the amount of enzymes you add after fermentation. You may also want to try adding some Bentonite although I think that the clay works best when the yeast are still active and their action in producing CO2 keeps the Bentonite in suspension and so is able to continuously remove particulate material from the wine or cider.

I did add pectin prior to fermentation

Elmer--here's something that you can try which oftentimes works pretty well. Hit it with another dose of pectic enzyme--Lallzyme C Max if you have it because it works better on clearing--then bring the carboy in where it's warm, about 70 degrees. In a few days to 2 weeks, you should see it clearing up. The cold can prevent some wines from clearing. CS really needs refrig temps or lower and is mostly used for acid reduction. A cloudy wine, often, will resist clearing when it's too cold.

Elmer--here's something that you can try which oftentimes works pretty well. Hit it with another dose of pectic enzyme--Lallzyme C Max if you have it because it works better on clearing--then bring the carboy in where it's warm, about 70 degrees. In a few days to 2 weeks, you should see it clearing up. The cold can prevent some wines from clearing. CS really needs refrig temps or lower and is mostly used for acid reduction. A cloudy wine, often, will resist clearing when it's too cold.

I will give this a try.
Thanks for info

Racked. Gave a dose of pectin
Might be cloudy but taste very green but tasty
ImageUploadedByWine Making1449960899.620545.jpg

I had the same problem with my cider, just added Super-Kleer and Voila! In three days it was complete cleared.

In an attempt o cold crash, I forgot to check the weather.
Temp got down to 0, cider froze
ImageUploadedByWine Making1452003785.193423.jpg

Back