clearing and compacting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intoxicating

Reaction score
smiley18.gif
On 9-23 I racked my skeeter pee off the sparkloid and added k meta and more pectinaise. At present it has about an inch of fluff in the bottom of the carbabies, that is showing NO indication of compacting. It also looks milky,and I am not sure if it still has pectin haze or what.

1 should I try to rack it and put the bottom sludge through a strainer to see if I can separate the stuff out of it?

2 should I try more pectinaise or sparkloid?

3 should I add some more sugar and fresh lemon juice, and call it good enough? (I used "margarita mix" syrup as the base, and the taste would benefit from a little fresh juice.)

If it was me.....

I would wait a while longer. Give it more time to see what happens.

Following is some good info from Jack Keller's web site:

Pectin Haze: The most common cause of a haze in wine is the presence of pectin, which forms gelatinous solutions in the wine. The problem is aggravated if the must is initially boiled to extract flavor, color or both. To check if a haze is pectin in origin, add 3-4 fluid ounces of methylated spirit to a fluid ounce of wine. If jelly-like clots or strings form, then the problem is most likely pectin and should be treated.

To treat the wine, for each gallon of wine draw off one cup of wine and stir into it teaspoon of pectic enzyme. Set the treated sample in a warm place (70-80° F.) and stir hourly for four hours. Strain the sample through sterilized muslin cloth and add to the bulk of the wine. Leave the wine at 70° F. for 4-5 days. The haze should clear. If it does not, strain the wine through sterilized muslin cloth and then through a vacuum-pumped filter. If it still does not clarify, the problem was misdiagnosed.

So just what is methylated spirit, and where do I get it? I am still waiting, but no further clearing or compacting.

About any hardware store will have it and it is ethyl alcohol denatured with methyl alcohol to prevent its use as an alcoholic beverage

Latest posts

Back