Quantcast

Cleaner

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Lilocsprings

Reaction score
What do you use for an equipment cleaner and where did you get it?
Links are helpful *

Smok1

Reaction score
What do you use for an equipment cleaner and where did you get it?
Links are helpful *
I use b-brite for a cleaner, then i rinse and spray k-meta solution and leave on to dry,
Got them both at local wine supplier

Johny99

Reaction score
I'm with Mike and NorCal. Both are standbys for me.

Smok1

Reaction score
My personal opinion is b-brite, pbw (starsan) and one-step all have the food grade santizer stamp of approval and oxiclean does not, that topics been beat to death on homebrewtalk.com, im sure oxiclean is a good oxygen type cleaner but if they could get "food-safe" approval they would advertise it, they dont, bottom line is if it isnt food safe i wont use it inside of any of my carboys or wine tools.

Last edited:

Redbird1

Reaction score
My personal opinion is b-brite, pbw (starsan) and one-step all have the food grade santizer stamp of approval and oxiclean does not, that topics been beat to death on homebrewtalk.com, im sure oxiclean is a good oxygen type cleaner but if they could get "food-safe" approval they would advertise it, they dont, bottom line is if it isnt food safe i wont use it inside of any of my carboys or wine tools.
I don't actually believe any of B-Brite, PBW, or One Step have any sort of stamp of approval as a sanitizer. My understanding is that they have been approved as cleaners. I think it would be helpful if you edited your post as to not confuse people.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
Personally I find that if you clean immediately after use, there is no need for anything but hot water! This includes empty bottles. Liberal use of Potassium Metabisulfite (K-Meta) in a sanitizer solution (2Tbsp./gal H2O) has worked for me.... KISS ;)

Smok1

Reaction score
I don't actually believe any of B-Brite, PBW, or One Step have any sort of stamp of approval as a sanitizer. My understanding is that they have been approved as cleaners. I think it would be helpful if you edited your post as to not confuse people.
After digging into it some more you are correct on part. B-brite and one step are not food grade, but pbw and starsan are food grade cleaners.

IMG_3441.PNG

GaDawg

Reaction score
I use OxiClean but I only use the one with a green lid! It is chlorine free and scent and dye-free. I get it at Walmart.

Redbird1

Reaction score
After digging into it some more you are correct on part. B-brite and one step are not food grade, but pbw and starsan are food grade cleaners.
Star San is not a cleaner. It is a sanitizer. There is an important distinction everyone needs to be familiar with. I would not wash anything with Star San, but sanitize everything with it.

Latest posts