Cleaner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you use for an equipment cleaner and where did you get it?
Links are helpful *

I use b-brite for a cleaner, then i rinse and spray k-meta solution and leave on to dry,
Got them both at local wine supplier

My personal opinion is b-brite, pbw (starsan) and one-step all have the food grade santizer stamp of approval and oxiclean does not, that topics been beat to death on homebrewtalk.com, im sure oxiclean is a good oxygen type cleaner but if they could get "food-safe" approval they would advertise it, they dont, bottom line is if it isnt food safe i wont use it inside of any of my carboys or wine tools.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is b-brite, pbw (starsan) and one-step all have the food grade santizer stamp of approval and oxiclean does not, that topics been beat to death on homebrewtalk.com, im sure oxiclean is a good oxygen type cleaner but if they could get "food-safe" approval they would advertise it, they dont, bottom line is if it isnt food safe i wont use it inside of any of my carboys or wine tools.
I don't actually believe any of B-Brite, PBW, or One Step have any sort of stamp of approval as a sanitizer. My understanding is that they have been approved as cleaners. I think it would be helpful if you edited your post as to not confuse people.

Personally I find that if you clean immediately after use, there is no need for anything but hot water! This includes empty bottles. Liberal use of Potassium Metabisulfite (K-Meta) in a sanitizer solution (2Tbsp./gal H2O) has worked for me.... KISS ;)

I don't actually believe any of B-Brite, PBW, or One Step have any sort of stamp of approval as a sanitizer. My understanding is that they have been approved as cleaners. I think it would be helpful if you edited your post as to not confuse people.

After digging into it some more you are correct on part. B-brite and one step are not food grade, but pbw and starsan are food grade cleaners.

IMG_3441.PNG

I use OxiClean but I only use the one with a green lid! It is chlorine free and scent and dye-free. I get it at Walmart.
OxiClean-Versatile-Stain-Remover-Free

After digging into it some more you are correct on part. B-brite and one step are not food grade, but pbw and starsan are food grade cleaners.
Star San is not a cleaner. It is a sanitizer. There is an important distinction everyone needs to be familiar with. I would not wash anything with Star San, but sanitize everything with it.

Latest posts

Back