WineXpert Clean and Ready

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a couple ready to bottle. I finely got them both degassed and they taste pretty good for being so young. The one on the left is a Vintners Reserves Chablis (item (3196) and the one on the right is a Vintners Reserves Chardonnay (item 3188). They aren't the most expensive kits, but I wanted to learn how to make it clean and clear before I spent 3 times as much on a kit. You can't tell, but the Chablis is a nice pink red color in a wine glass and the Chardonnay is a very nice yellow/white. If they are ready I am hoping to serve a few bottles to guest at my annual crawfish boil at the end on May. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Thanks for the help on this forum. <O:p></O:p>

20070320_190559_Final.JPG

Edited by: First Time Wine

No, I racked twice leaving most of the lees behind on the second racking. It took about a bottle in a half to top off. Edited by: First Time Wine

When were these started? I know alot of people who do this and end up with sediment in their bottles if bottled to early.

I started the Chard. Feb 10th and the Chablis Feb 21st. It took the Chard 9 days to the first rack. I gave my primary the next two days off before I started my second batch....
smiley4.gif
Oh and I racked twice making sure I didn't pull up any sediment. I didn't want to have to mess with the auto siphon when I bottled. I wanted to be able to let it (auto siphon) sit on the bottom and not worry about pulling up anything in my bottles

Edited by: First Time Wine

With no clearing agents used I wouldn't be in that big of a hurry to bottle, unless you plan on filtering. Although you might not see it now, there is sediment in the wine that is this young, you will be disappointed when you see it in your bottles later.

Let me back up...These were both kits so package #4 chitosan or isinglass clarifier was used. Are you sugesting additional clarifiers?

I agree with JWMinnesota...unless you need the carboys, I'd let it bulk age for a while and settle even further. Besides, the sooner they're in the bottle the easier the temptation is to drink them!

No hurry here....I am probbaly going to set it in a cool dark closet and forget about it for a while. Edited by: First Time Wine

Those wines look really nice...you should be very proud of them.

Let them sit for 2 weeks or so and look at the bottom of the carboy...then in another week...Keep us Posted....we all need more patience....I think we need a 'support group' here.....

Thank you.. Support Group...that's funny.

Should I add the 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulphite power now since I am going to keep some of these bottles past 6 months. The reason I ask is because the WE instructions say to do this beforre bottling. It woulden't make much sense to do it right before I bottle it. I would stir up all the sediment adding the additional potassium metabisulphite

Ah patience....probably the greatest thing this hobby is teaching me, before I had none, now , if I want it to work, I must find it. NW, I thought this WAS the support group!
smiley36.gif

I add the extra k-meta at bottling. I mix it up in 200ml of cool water, put it in my receiving carboy and rack onto it. Then I filter to a primary fermenter and bottle from there.

If I am going to bulk age, I rack every 2 months and I add the k-meta every other racking (based on a quick free SO2 test). Before I bottle bulk aged product I test for pH and free SO2 and use this table as a guide line. http://www.accuvin.com/pHSO2Links.pdf

Also, if you invest in a digital pH meter you can follow the procedure below first presented by board member Joesph.

"If you are going to get a pH meter, you can place the Acidometer on the shelf with the other little used equipment. First put your sample in a 50ml beaker and take your pH reading (the meter must be calibrated first). Then to determine acidity, slowly add sodium hydroxide (using burette, pipette or syringe), stirring as you add, until you have a pH reading of 8.2. The titratable acidity of your sample can thenbe determined with the following formula:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
TA = 75 * V * C/VS<O:p></O:p>
Where:<O:p></O:p>
V = volume of sodium hydroxide needed to obtain a pH of 8.2<O:p></O:p>
C = concentration of sodium hydroxide used (0.1 normal or 0.2 normal)<O:p></O:p>
S = volume of the sample of wine or must<O:p></O:p>
For example: you have a 15ml sample of wine and add 12ml of 0.1 normal sodium hydroxide solution to reach a pH of 8.2.<O:p></O:p>
TA = 75 * 12 * (0.1 / 15)<O:p></O:p>
TA = 6.0<O:p></O:p>
The acidity of the sample is 6 grams per liter (6 parts per thousand or 0.60%). Note that this formula will also work if you use Phenolphthalein indicator solution since the color change occurs at pH 8.2
Play with the formula to adjust the sample and the concentration of sodium hydroxide solution. For example; if you use a 15ml sample and the concentration of sodium hydroxide is 0.2 normal, each ml of sodium hydroxide added translates into one gram per liter (0.1 %) of titratable acid.<O:p></O:p>
Make sure the sodium hydroxide solution is fresh. It has a limited shelf life and begins to deteriorate once the bottle is opened. Buy the smallest bottle possible. Buy in bulk only if you plan to do a lot of testing in a short period of time. The alternative is to add to your lab and standardize the sodium hydroxide solution before using it in your test."<O:p></O:p>Edited by: Coaster

Way to go, Coaster. For those using phenolphthalein on red wine (hard to see color change) you can dilute the sample with any amount of distilled water without changing the results. The sample size in Coaster's example above remains 15 ml (the actual amount of wine, not the amount of wine + distilled water). That will dilute the color out, making it easier to see the end point.

Latest posts

Back