clarifying/back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalphEd

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all;

The peach hooch is going to need back sweetening, no surprise there. I checked the gravity today and it was .992 at 70F. very dry tasting.

I was going to recal the hydrometer but I dropped it. I also dropped my thermometer.

After I buy new instruments and duct tape one end of the hydrometer tube closed I'll cal and test again and prolly stabilize tomorrow.

I am thinking of backsweetening after I clear it awhile, since I cooked the fruit and it may be a bugger to clear. Should I ad sorbate now, or just the campden tabs? Does it matter?

Thanks,
Ralph Ed

I think I found the answer

I reviewed my original thread and tinman's thread on adding metabisulphate.

I think it can go like this:

Rack onto kmeta solution in carbouy, then add pectic enzyme.

After 1 month and(depending on sediment deposits) rack again and add sorbate and low dose of kmeta and backsweeten. Then ad finings and age.

Does that work?

Thanks,
Ralph Ed

I have done it both ways , right after fermenting while it is clearing the first time and I have waited till it is clear. But with the peach I like to add it as early as I can as it takes forever to clear. So as soon as it is done secoundary ferment sweeten it with the cooked reserve.

Back