CJ Berry's Tannin Substitue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chessdunk

Reaction score
I was browsing through Berry's Winemaking Month by Month and came across the following tannin substitute.... viz.

upto 1 tablespoon of strong tea per 4.5 liters or
Pear peelings

In a pinch I have known people use tea but have never come across using pear peelings as a tannin substitute. Has anyone tried this...?

We prefer elderberries for a tannin addition and adding some nice stable color also. CJ may have been using more of a Perry pear than what we got over here commonly like Barlets to eat, not sure since it isnt specified, but tannins in Pome skins are very hard to get out vs like grape or elderberry tannins.

There are no elderberry's here... by pom tannin do you mean the with skin like membrane that separates the seeds or the outer harder skin?

I have a moonglow pear tree in my yard, the fruit is about the size and shape of a Bartlett and the meat taste fantastic. The skin is VERY tannin in taste.

I have heard that mangoes can add tannin. I tried it once with pear wine and it seemed to work fine

I have heard that mangoes can add tannin. I tried it once with pear wine and it seemed to work fine

Oh thats information to be stored. I would definitely want to try the inner skin that comes with the pomegranate seeds. That has a nice astringent taste and eatable with the fruit. Wonder how that would work out?

Latest posts

Back