Citrus wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterHobbs

Maker
Reaction score
Juice oranges, tangerines, and lemons (recipe here)
This one seems kind of bitter, hoping that will mellow with age. Did I use too much zest?
Hobbs

Bitter? Or sour?
I wouldn't expect too many lemons to make it bitter. However, 4 lemons is a lot for a 1 gal batch, especially when combined with 4# of oranges + tangerines.

If it is bitter, I wonder if you still had too much pith.

Just a thought........ maybe next time you may try starting the batch with just the juice and then add the zest a little at a time while the wine is aging ( add in small amounts until you get the flavor you are looking for). Again just a thought!!!!!!

BOB

I would try setting this wine aside, in the carboy, and allowing it to bulk age for a good long while. Bulk aging allows some of the bitter components to drop out, given enough time. Another thing that might help--if it's still somewhat bitter after bulk aging-- is to try some glycerin or vanilla in it. 1 tsp of glycerin per gallon. 1/2 oz of vaniila extract per gallon. Vanilla extract is much better if you make it yourself, rather than using store bought vanilla.

Optionally, you could also try some Casein in it after the bulk aging.

I'm hoping that aging will do the trick. If not, the vanilla is an interesting idea. Do you just split the vanilla beans and soak them in vodka?

Yes---if you want to make enough extract to have around to experiment with, use 8-10 beans in a bottle of vodka. Split them in half. There is a great bean site called Beanilla. I got 25 Madagascar beans for $1.00 each. They have all kinds of beans.

We use it to make vanilla Concord--also very good in peach or cherry. And of course, for baking.

Back