Choke Cherry Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll put some more bird seed out. I think these seeds will pass on through the system!
smiley36.gif
And we don't want them flying drunk, either!
smiley5.gif

We racked both versions of the choke cherry tonight. This is the dessert wine.

Just racked, you can see that everything is freshly swirled. (And this stuff is still really cooking!)

2005-11-30_201218_Chokecherry_rack.jpg

In this next picture you can see the difference that 20 minutes in the carboy can make.

2005-11-30_201252_Chokecherry_rack2.jpg

It really shows the sediment falling already.

What are you going to top up with when it's ready to be topped up? Or are you going to put them in 3-gallon carboys?

We have a nice selection of carboy available to us. We also have a pretty collection of marbles. Don't you think this would be pretty with marbles?
smiley36.gif
We have 6 gal, 5 gal, 3 gal and 1 gallon carboys. Wouldn't it be great if they made 2 gallon carboys?! We do a lot of mix and match to make things work.

Way to go PWP...it is so purdy I am all choked up.

Really it looks great!

PolishWineP said:
We have a nice selection of carboy available to us. We also have a pretty collection of marbles. Don't you think this would be pretty with marbles?
smiley36.gif
We have 6 gal, 5 gal, 3 gal and 1 gallon carboys. Wouldn't it be great if they made 2 gallon carboys?! We do a lot of mix and match to make things work.

I agree! 2, 2.5, 3.5 and 4 gallon carboys would be best. Especially for scratch wines. It always seems like I have 2.5 gallons of wine when I aim for 2.
smiley36.gif

I agree with Masta: Sure would look mighty fine with some soft pink or cats-eye marbles.
smiley36.gif

Looks absolutely wonderful PWP!

MedPretzel said:
I agree! 2, 2.5, 3.5 and 4 gallon carboys would be best.

I would love it if I could find a 2.5 gallon carboy! ThenI could make a single can recipe of the Alexanders Sun Country grape concentrates!

Let's start a petition. Picket lines! Sit ins! Freedom to the carboy!
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Vaughn

We racked the choke cherry dinner wine last night. You can see the sediment here.

2005-12-10_090024_Sediment.jpg

We stared with a 3-gallon and a 5-gallon carboy and ended up with 6 gallons of wine.

Here you can see Red the Cat helping by staying out of things for a change.
smiley2.gif

2005-12-10_090334_Red.jpg

PWP, that looks great, it sure settled out alot...Choke Cherry wine is the best.
Red cats can be so naughty and so nice.

That is pretty typical of fruit wines...about 24lbs. of choke cherries and 6lbs of raisins mashed or grounded and that leaves a lot of fines that can get through the straining bag. I try to adjust levels to make up for it ...But sometimes I guess wrong...
smiley18.gif

PWP, great pictures, I am planting some chokecherries in our yard this
spring hoping to get enough to make some wine. Would you be so kind as
to share your recipie? and how are things progressing with these 2
batches now?

Cracked Cork

PWP,

Thanks for the great pictures, your wine looks good. I haven't done a fruit wine yet so the pictures have really spiked my interest. I think I will do a rhubarb this spring and look for some chokecherries this fall.Edited by: B M W

Cracked, We'd love to share the recipes. When Bert gets home I'll ask him to post them and then message back here when that is done.

Beginning Wine, We made rhubarb as one of our first fruit wines and it was wonderful! We even gave it a special name, after a pet! We called it Duff Wine, Duff being the Boxer puppy that a friend had recently aquired. It's good to name wines after special events.

This is a the best. People enjoying the success of people every where. Those look great almost smell them thru the screen. I bet the age nicley. What kind of yeast did you use with each batch?

Back