Choke Cherry Picking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMountaineerJack

Reaction score
So we planted some Choke Cherries a couple years ago and now some are loaded and already turning red. Since they are so sour how do you tell if they are ripe enough to pick, especially since I have never tasted one yet.

Best options for juicing? Freeze then steam juice? Or ferment whole after being frozen? No I am not going to ask how to pit them!!

WVMJ

I never pit them. I freeze them and thaw. I never steam. Mashing them up by hand and daily smushing/stirring seems to work well enough. They probably will not ever be sweet and will taste astringent. Let them hang as long as you dare until they get deep dark red colored. Of course you may have to get them before the birds do. Net them if you can. I find the birds tell you when they are at their peak because they will be there one day and the next the tree will be stripped bare.

Let us know how it turns out.

When I picked mine last fall they were nearly black and most of the leaves on the bush had fallen, the wine is absolutly black!

Went to check on them today 7.16.14 as they were softening over the weekend, we tasted some, not a very strong taste at all, a few were astringent but nothing coming close to a crabapple, might have to do with all the rain we have this spring. Birds already ate EVERY single one of them. Next year they should have a lot more cherries and hoping its going to be a bittering year for them next season. WVMJ

I have the best of this deal. The kids called and wanted to know how many it takes to make wine. They had a bumper crop this year, picked a bunch, and have them in the freezer. When I get my hands on them, I'll get em ready to go and let you know what I am going to do with them. Arne.

Back