Chocolate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetieMike

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone out there have any real experience with 100% powered cocoa in a wine? (not an extract)

I put 8oz raw cocoa in a 6gallon batch of a chocolate raspberry wine.
Is this enough for a solid but not overdone taste of chocolate?

I have used Hershey's Cocoa powder (dutch processed/special dark or what ever they are calling it now). I just bottled a chocolate cayenne mead and used 1 cup per gallon. I thought it was too much but it turned out well and is the first one so far that I actually can taste and smell the chocolate. Its not a heavy chocolate but you are not left wondering gee what is that in the background. I do need to warn you to make sude you have extra to top off with or a carboy you can down size to because there is a lot of sediment.
VPC

I used 2 cups in a 3 gallon batch of Choc/strawberry port and felt it wasnt enough so added some very expensive extract after stable.

Does the extract leave an after taste? I am curios because I'm making a chocolate cherry mel and I decided to follow the recipe for a change. It calls for chocolate extract just prior to bottling and I really debated on using that or the chocolate powder. I am using this as a bench test to see how the chocolate flavor tastes and how long it lasts before I pass judgment. Right now for the powder it seems 1 cup per gallon gives me a nice chocolate aroma and flavor.
VPC

I used a very good 1 which did not leave that funny aftertaste which is common with cheap extracts. I bought mine at a upscale store called Chefs Emporium. Waldo has posted a place where he gets some very good extracts though.

Latest posts

Back