Other Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
I noticed a plain chocolate port kit from Heron Bay and picked it up a couple of months ago. I finally got around to making this baby today. My game plan is to eventually split this into 3 - 1 gallon batches. 1 will be left alone, 1 will have a pure strawberry extract added and the last will get a pure cherry extract added.

20100123_161542_DSCN5675_Deskto.JPG

20100123_161719_DSCN5677_Deskto.JPG

A bit of an update on these.
I let this finish fermenting and racked it back to a primary to add the rest of the included kit ingredients.
I ended up adding juice that was reduced from 2 lbs. of steam juiced fruit (Cherries & Strawberries) and added that to a gallon jug each along with some brandy and topped off with the chocolate port. I had about 3 bottles left over. So I searched through the pantry and discovered some pure almond extract. I put the almond extract in a magnum along with a couple of the bottles. Today I racked them all off the clearing and had a chance to taste each and so far I am calling this a success. The chocolate taste is heavy and it dominated all of the ports. I was able to pick up a bit of the cherry and strawberry flavor but both were hiding way behind the chocolate. My spur of the moment almond was a pleasant surprise and at this point its my favorite. I have a bit left over for tasting later, but I may try to find some hazelnut - just to see .........

20100328_122406_DSCN5740_Deskto.JPG

I'll be bottling these in a couple of weeks so I'll have more pictures then.

I believe with some maturity the fruit flavors will become more prominent

Vcasey, They all sound very good !!! The chocolate cherry port that I made from scratch is going to be wonderful !! It has only been bulk aging since the end of january, but all I can say about the taste of this one is " WOW " I did add 2 vanilla beans and some medium toast hungarian oak. I also added an F-pack of cherry juice.

At right around 18.5 ABV it is very smooth and has a great mouthfeel already. My biggest problem now will be keeping the wife out of this one ( and myself too I guess ) till it has a chance to mature.

BOB

Ah yes Bob that is 1 major plus for bulk aging!

These however will just need to be placed where I can forget about them
because I needed the jugs and space. So they have been bottled and when I
can convince someone taller then me to help, they'll be be put up and
out of sight

20100402_140924_DSCN5752_Deskto.JPG

Latest posts

Back