Chocolate mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drmax

Junior
Reaction score
I am trying to find a recipe for chocolate mead however I cannot access the ones I have been able to find. Can anyone here assist me please?

Looks interesting but I was hoping to use the actual chocolate nibs from the plant. I live in Yucatan so procuring cacao and melapona honey from the Mayan stingless bees is no problem

Stingless bees? Not in my memory (ouch!), just got nailed a couple of weeks ago!

Not so much a recipe as a method. I would make a traditional (honey only) and in the secondary add say 2 oz of crushed roasted nibs per gallon, tasting on a regular basis and racking off the nibs when you have the flavor profile you want, but that said, for a more "chocolatey chocolate" flavor, you might consider using a chocolate malt (malted barley). Strikes me that what we think of as "chocolate" has a lot to do with the cocoa butter and cocoa nibs are not rich in the fats. Chocolate malt seems to highlight chocolate flavors more than cocoa flavors..

I just racked a chocolate mead.

I gently stirred in 1 ounce dutched cocoa powder, and sat it on 1 ounce of nibs for a month. use the highest quality cocoa and nibs you can get. The sample seemed to have a great balance of honey and chocolate. I wanted - and am expecting - a more medium bodied mead. so far I am pleased, and I hear they just get better with aging. But be warned, from all of my research, it takes 2 years to properly age because of the oils in chocolate.i would also recommend making it at least semi sweet - definitely would advise against anything remotely dry

Not so much a recipe as a method. I would make a traditional (honey only) and in the secondary add say 2 oz of crushed roasted nibs per gallon, tasting on a regular basis and racking off the nibs when you have the flavor profile you want, but that said, for a more "chocolatey chocolate" flavor, you might consider using a chocolate malt (malted barley). Strikes me that what we think of as "chocolate" has a lot to do with the cocoa butter and cocoa nibs are not rich in the fats. Chocolate malt seems to highlight chocolate flavors more than cocoa flavors..

Haven't tried chocolate malt in a mead yet, but I would also recommend using Belgian candi syrup. I used some in a recent batch and it adds some wonderful cocoa aromatics and flavor.

I just racked a chocolate mead.

I gently stirred in 1-ounce Dutch cocoa powder and sat it on 1 ounce of nibs for a month. use the highest-quality cocoa and nibs you can get. The sample seemed to have a great balance of honey and chocolate. I wanted - and am expecting - a more medium-bodied mead. so far I am pleased, and I hear they just get better with aging. But be warned, from all of my research, it takes 2 years to properly age because of the oils in chocolate.I would also recommend making it at least semi-sweet - definitely would advise against anything remotely dry
How many gallons of mead for the amount of Dutch Cocoa Powder and nibs?

Back