Chocolate Covered Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna use actual chocolate covered dried cherries. Just trying to figure out how much to use. I have about 10 lbs.

I did use the boxes with 10 pieces of candy in them. Mine were 6.6 oz or something like that. I seem to remember reading on the Jack Keller site, but it is down now, so I can't check, that he had subsequently made it with smaller and smaller sized boxes and it came it just as good.

I may have just misread the recipe and not noticed that he had 1 lb boxes the first times he made it. I do know what I made has a nice chocolate taste, with cherry overtones.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I am going to scale it down then from your numbers. I will probably use 8 boxes of the 5.6oz I have or maybe 10 tops. I am only making a 1 gal. batch so will just cut your numbers in sixths.
If yours tastes pretty good with 48 boxes for 6 gal., then mine should be good with 8-10 for 1 gal.
Worse thing to happen is I have to dump it.

I just know looking at 24 boxes of the cherries there is no way that can be right for 1 gallon. The cherries alone will fill up the primary to 1 gal., without the addition of water.

WineForFun - Have you started your batch yet?

I am planning on starting a 1 Gal batch of CCC wine next week. Like you I thought the 8 lbs sounded like a LOT, esp. thinking of how much sugar is in the candy and what would the SG be. I was trying to decide how many cherries I wanted to use.

I have read someplace else that the recipe Jack Keller has on his site gives a wine with more of an almond taste (caused by the cream in the cherries) - after seeing this thread, I think I am going to go with about 10 boxes in my 1 gal batch.

Good luck and keep us posted so I can follow your progress in relation to mine.

-Brian

No I have not started it. Probably will be a month or so. Trying to free up some carboys(don't want to buy more).
I am going with 9 boxes. I have chocolate covered cherries and also chocolate covered blueberries. I will make a gallon of each.

I will definitely keep my progress posted on this thread when I start it. Please do the same with yours.

I still can't believe that is correct, 8lbs., for 1 gallon. And as cmason1957 posted above, he used 8 boxes per gallon, and said it turned out good.

I started this batch finally. Mixed everything up Sunday, pitched the hydrated yeast last night. Looks like chocolate pudding. Hard to imagine this is going to be clear and wine someday.

I went with 9 boxes (10 cherries in each box) and not the 8lbs. that the recipe called for. That has to be a typo as with the 9 boxes I used, my primary was 1/3 full before pouring the boiling water over it. Also, this amount of candy had my SG at 1.092 without adding any sugar.

Got this one clear and backsweetened. Also added 5oz. cherry vodka to it to hopefully add some cherry flavor to it. Doesn't taste too bad right now. Semi-sweet with a hint of chocolate covered cherries. I may throw a maraschino cherry in the glass of wine and see how that goes. If I get this figured out, I will start my chocolate covered blueberries.

Sound like the best wine for my wife, we both love chocolate. I'll try that recipe for sure.

Latest posts

Back