chocolate cherry port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryangws

Reaction score
hey guys, going to be starting a cherry port. i have read through this thread...and like the sound of it.
http://forum.finevinewines.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9369

i have about 15# of cherries. they are defrosting right now.
here is my modification to the recipe above.
let me know what you think

<div style="overflow: auto;">
(2 gallon )Chocolate Cherry Port

18#Cherries (bing) (not juiced)

3/4 galWater

32oz Red Grape Concentrate

5oz organic dagoba Cocoa Powder

3-4 lbsSugar + 1.5 cups dark brown sugar to SG of

2 tsp Yeast Energizer

2 tsp Yeast Nutrient

2 tsp Pectic Enzyme

NoAcid Blend

1 pkg Yeast
2 camden crushed

1 vanilla bean and oak after ferment like Bob did.

i really like the sound of this recipe. i did a cherry wine with the other half of the harvest and it turned out great. i really want to try this recipe.

my major questions are
1) are the amounts correct for the # of cherries i got?
2) what yeast should i use? i have Pasteur red, premier cuvee, montrachet, and cote des blancs on hand. i would like to use one of these that i have in my fridg. i am thinking the premier curve???
3) what type of oak?

thanks

I think the recipe looks great!!!

I would start with the amount of cherries you mentioned, But I would get some more to do a F-Pack later. (20-30% of what you start with)

I would probably use the Cuvee yeast. (maybe Pastuer)

I would use light or medium toast oak...

Keep us posted....

I'm thinking you will be short on the water....fruit wines made with the fruit, generality have a lot of loss of liquid when racking to get rid of the fines from the fruit.....2 gallons of water would be closer for a 2 gal. batch IMO.....Good Luck...Keep us posted..

thanks will do, bert

any thing i should know about different types of oak, go american?

American is said to be a little more "bold" then French.

Hungarian is said to be a happy medium.... I think I would try Hungarian.

.... Remember not to just add water (or any other ingredient) just to fit a recipe. 15 lbs of cherries may add alot of liquid. Just kind of take it as it comes....

P.S. I also use Dry Malt Extract in my Ports. You should consider some of that.... (it may not be needed with the cocoa???)

The Dry Malt Extract will still be needed for the mouth feel and keep in mind the cocoa powder will leave a LOT of sediment so extra to start with would be wise . Great choice for the cocoa BTW.
I would go with a med toast oak and some cocoa nibs to age this one on.

ryangws, My port has been bottled for a little while. I have already got into it a couple of times. Mine has a lot of chocolate flavor up front with the cherry coming in at the end. The cherry flavor seems to slowly get a little stronger as it ages. I agree with goodfella, you may want to add an F-pack, time will tell. The chocolate gave mine a nice mouthfeel, my own prefrence would be to up the mouthfeel when I make the next batch. If you use dry malt extract MAKE SURE!!!!! it's extra light. I used a light malt extract on a couple of other wines and they have a beer type flavor to them.

Keep us posted

BOB

I looked it up and I used 2 vanilla beans, and 1 1/2 oz med toast Hungarian Oak in mine.

BOB

thanks guys. just checked the sg and it was 1.080 so i added some more sugar and brought the water up to 2 gal. will check it again in a few hours. tasts great though. not too much chocolate, can still taste the cherry.

with the cherries in the liquid, it hits the 3 gal mark. so when i pull the cherry bag out, about 2gal is left. was hoping for a 3 gal batch, but i didnt think i had enough cherries.

Dagoba chocolate factory is about 100 feet from where i work. they make some dank organic chocolate. cant bring myself to use anything less. wish i could get it at a better price thought.

i added 4oz of chocolate, should i add more when aging?
pitching yeast tonight or tomorrow. cuvee to get the higher ABV???

I used 71-B 1122 and it finally stopped at 18.33. I fed it extra sugar twice. I added 8oz of hersheys cocoa powder and the chocolate is plenty strong. I think the chocolate needs to be added up front unless you plan on using an extract. It's really hard to get it to blend into the must.

BOB

The amount of chocolate you use will vary some what depending on what you want to accomplish. I have a 3 gallon chocolate spice mead going and I added 9.6 oz of cocoa powder and its currently sitting on 1 lb. of cocoa nibs. Also have a chocolate maple mead going and only added 5 oz of cocoa powder and it will not get any cocoa nibs. I used Lalvin D254 for both since I was sort of coping someones recipe.
If you decide you need more chocolate flavor after fermentation you can always add a pure chocolate extract.

i racked it off the lees. 0.997 was the gravity.

it tasted much better a few days ago when it was 1.030. its much stronger alcohol taste. with a nice hint of chocolate.

so i am leaving this weekend for the holiday.

Thats what I like about making Port....

Always trying to get that perfect balance between Alcohol and sweetness.

ok...so it hasnt bubbled all day.
i think its done. and i am leaving for 4 days this weekend
there is a 1/4 of the sediment there was before i racked it yesterday

should i rack it again and add my sorbate and meta before i leave or wait until Monday/tuesday to do it?

ohh, and when i get to sweeten/f pack, i dont have any leftover fruit, can i use cherry juice in a bottle and some simple syrup? because i doubt i will be able to get cherries at the store this time of year.

I would leave it until mon/tue.....

You could simmer down cherry juice and use simple syrup.... OR you can bulk age until cherries are avalible next year.

Yep.... Winemaking= The procrastonaters perfect hobby!!! haha

I was waiting for someone to comment on that.

thanks guys, i racked it and added sorbate and sulfite, then added the oak and a vanilla bean.

now i get to wait i guess.

Latest posts

Back