chlorinated water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capecodbob

Junior
Reaction score
Attempting my 1st batch of wine and I think I may be in serious trouble.
Today is day 3 and everything seems to be going nicely. Lifted the cover in the bucket and the bubbles are there so I WAS a happy camper.

Now I think I read somewhere that chlorinated public water is a no-no in wine making. So I called are local water department this am to ask them if our water is chlorinated. The lady on the other end said a disappointing YES.

So, I ask those of you out there with the experience. Is my first batch doomed and do I throw it out and start again?

BTW the chlorine in our water is difficult to detect. Not like when traveling and the motel water actually stinks of chlorine.
Thanks,
Bob

I would not throw it out untill you let it age some and taste it. You may not even be able to detect it's in there. Don't ever give up on a wine early. Most people on here suggest that bottled water be should used. I use water from my own well that has been softened and run through an RO unit. This works fine for me. I just had to learn that I needed to add more nutrient to my musts to keep them yeasties HAPPY !!!!!

BOB

If your water taste good so will your wine. If you have foul tasting water then yes by all means use bottled or treated.

Sounds like your water is just fine. Chlorine will not effect fermentation.

If the chlorine level was high enough to adversely affect your wine and you drank it regularly, it would probably do some damage to your innards, too. As long as you don't dip the water out of your swimming pool, you'll be fine.
smiley17.gif

Yep, plain tap is just fine in most cases. Rule of thumb is if it taste like awful water, it's going to make aweful wine, coffee, or tea. If you can drink it no problems, then it's good enough.

As a matter of reference, kit manufacturers do their nutrient additions in anticipation of home makers using tap water, which contains so many PPM of minerals. If you are going to use bottled water, make sure it is spring water and not "pure drinking water" or other water that has all the calcium, magnesium, etc taken out of it. The yeast need those minerals too.

On another note kmeta will rid your tap water of chlorine or at least bring it way down from what Ive read many places. so if this wasnt a kit and you added sulfites 1st to hold off the wild yeast then you will surely be fine.

The quantity of chlorine in tap water is not an issue for winemaking. All public water supplies are chlorinated by law, but the requirement is 0.5 ppm Cl2 at the far end of the distribution system. My town routinely over-chlorinates, to the point where you can often smell it, and it has had no adverse effect on my wine. Oxidizable solids in the must eliminate the chlorine almost immediately.

Latest posts

Back