Other Cheapest kit youve tried that was surprisingly good.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursons

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know the cheapest kits that youve had that shocked you with delight.

Please prove the price and supplier too^^

For my pick, I would go with Paklab's (Costco ones):
Cabernet, and Orvieto.
- They come in two's and usually are around $47. Which means one kit costs $23.

People seem to like this batch, obviously they do not have the depth and elegance of the more expensive lines but enough for its price.

Im eager to find out your picks

foursons:

I have not made any of the Costco 2-packs for myself. Feedback from others is that the reds are thin.

Way back in 2002(or 2003), Vineco discontinued their bottom end brand (Vintage 28). I was running a store, and still had a couple left, so I made one of the Bergamais kits, figuring that we could use it for sangria or mulled wine, or something. At the time I wasn't much of a red wine drinker (I guess I still aren't). Anyway, the wine disappeared. Our friends next door drank a lot of it, and she wanted more.

Steve

foursons:

I have not made any of the Costco 2-packs for myself. Feedback from others is that the reds are thin.

Way back in 2002(or 2003), Vineco discontinued their bottom end brand (Vintage 28). I was running a store, and still had a couple left, so I made one of the Bergamais kits, figuring that we could use it for sangria or mulled wine, or something. At the time I wasn't much of a red wine drinker (I guess I still aren't). Anyway, the wine disappeared. Our friends next door drank a lot of it, and she wanted more.

Steve

Hey Steve.

I wish they were still around...

Thanks

I've at least liked liked all that I'v e done in the RJS VdV line. A tweaked Italian Valpola came out very nice. My wife really likes the back sweetened (2 cups) Pinot Grigio and the White Zin done straight up with no tweaks or back sweetening. These are all $75.00 US kits gotten from my LHBS.

There was a Grand Cru International California Meritage that was awesome, and I wish I could still get more but it was discontinued. The price was in the $80 range. I probably have 1-2 bottles left squirreled away in the basement, but it was a great early drinker.... so of course, we drank it. :)

Also did the Grand Cru International Chenin Blanc, which turned out excellent.

Mezza Luna White, not so much.

Heather

I haven't done too many kits, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the CC Sterling Pinot Grigio. I tweaked it, but at 9 months of age it was ready and drinking wonderfully. At a year, I have just a handful of bottles left (with most earmarked for gifts) but (eventually) I'll make this one again. In the meantime, I'll be tweaking a Sterling Chardonnay.

I haven't done too many kits, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the CC Sterling Pinot Grigio. I tweaked it, but at 9 months of age it was ready and drinking wonderfully. At a year, I have just a handful of bottles left (with most earmarked for gifts) but (eventually) I'll make this one again. In the meantime, I'll be tweaking a Sterling Chardonnay.

Care to share your tweaks?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Heather

Any specifics on what you did not like about the Mezza Luna White?

For my pick, I would go with Paklab's (Costco ones):
Cabernet, and Orvieto.

I also like the Paklab Cabs. I find them a little weak but I enjoy tweaking them... and the price is right. The paklab Pino Grigio is really nice for about 80$ for a double kit. Also was pleasantly surprised by the Mad Hatter Zin for around 70$, but I think it has been discontinued.

My most pleasant surprise was from the Cellar Craft Sterling line. The wine was a Sauvignon Blanc and it was very good considering the kit was only 12 liters of concentrate.

Care to share your tweaks?

I typically switch out the yeast (rehydrating in GoFerm and dosing with Fermaid K if the yeast is nutrient-demanding compared to the supplied yeast) and add several yeast-based additives. In this case I used BA11 yeast, 11g Opti-White, 1.7g Tannin Blanc. I usually add Booster Blanc to whites as well but was probably out when I made this one. (For reds, I tweak with yeast sub, Opti-Red, Booster Rouge and Tannin FT Rouge or Tan'Cor Grand Cru.)

Latest posts

Back