Cheap Zin Blush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
I was wanting to play with a cheap Zin Blush ($40) and add one of these;

Winexpert Red Grape Concentrate - 1 Liter ($24)
  • Brix is 68
  • Concentrate is three times the regular juice
  • Mainly used to increase alcohol and body
  • Can also be used as a sweetener and it will give your wine a nice "Grapey" taste
OK or waste of money.

Since it’s red concentrate, I’d imagine that the color will end up considerably darker than a blush, but that’s no deal breaker. Sounds like an interesting project, keep us posted.....

I wasn't going for a blush but its the cheapest Zin I could find.
My thoughts was to add the concentrate to bring it back close to a Zin.
We will see.

OK, I have received all the supplies for this batch.
Fontana Zin Blush
Winexpert Red Grape Concentrate - 1 Liter
Suggestions on additional items.
1 TBS Tannins
1 or 3 TBS yeast nutrients?
1 TBS yeast enigerizer.
1 Pack Zante Currant or no currant?
Add sugar to boost SG to 1.20 range

Going for a Deep Red Zin if possible. I could care less about the blush.
Hope to make it in a 5 gal batch.

Missing anything?

OK, I have received all the supplies for this batch.
Fontana Zin Blush
Winexpert Red Grape Concentrate - 1 Liter
Suggestions on additional items.
1 TBS Tannins
1 or 3 TBS yeast nutrients?
1 TBS yeast enigerizer.
1 Pack Zante Currant or no currant?
Add sugar to boost SG to 1.20 range

Going for a Deep Red Zin if possible. I could care less about the blush.
Hope to make it in a 5 gal batch.

Missing anything?

Since you asked, 1.2 SG as a starting point will yield a wine with nearly 30% ABV if you could find a yeast to eat all of that sugar, which you can't. Depending upon what yeast you use, you will wind up with a high ethanol, very sugary wine. If that's what you want, you're right on track.

If you're trying to make a drinkable wine that is balanced, reduce your sugar addition down to yield a SG of 1.090 - 1.100 for a wine with ABV in the 13% - 14% range with no residual sugar. You can add sugar to taste (use sorbate to prevent fermentation from starting back up) later if you like to have a little sweetness in your wine.

I agree with John, and would take it just a tad lower in ABV. This is a light wine we're talking about, so I'd want to be in the 12-12.5% range. I'd skip the currants in a light, fruity wine like this. I think they'll overwhelm. On the tannin, I'd probably go w/ a teaspoon. I'd go w/ a tablespoon on a nice red, but on a blush, maybe too much.

1.10 is my normal zone. I always shots for 15% but can never get there. I either add too much water or run out of sugar. One way or another it gets to 1.10

Latest posts

Back